Carburetor is leaking in my new coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carburetor is leaking in my new coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

some of you may have seen my posts regarding the 26' Coupe I recently acquired. today I was working on getting it running. when I open up the fuel shutoff and allow fuel into the carburetor, it's leaking outside the back flap (air intake) of the carb. I'm thinking stuck float or needle? How do I remedy this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Try tapping on the inlet to the carb, it may be a stuck float.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Whack it with a wrench. Really. Sometimes unsticking a stuck needle valve just takes a bit of tapping on the carburetor to knock it loose. If that doesn't work, then you have to open it up and investigate. This being a newly acquired car, you don't know what's in there. It could be a Grose jet, notorious for being problematic. Or it could be a bit of debris caught in the valve. You have to look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Hi Matthew: You my have a vi-ton needle valve in the carburetor that has been softened by exposure to ethanol gasoline, they work for a year or two then start to leak, the original metal parts are more reliable when fitted well. Brad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration