Thoughts on shipping containers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thoughts on shipping containers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Does anyone use retired shipping containers for their overflow storage? What do you like or don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

If you're just putting iron parts, or hard to damage stuff in there, they're pretty good. The ones I've seen are not ventilated at all and are ovens in the summer. It's not good for wood, fabric, or such. Being narrow is a downside because it's easy to get enough stuff sticking out from the walls that it's hard to maintain an aisle. Make sure you get one that hasn't been crunched. If you can hand pick the ones you want, go visit the place on a rainy day to ensure that they don't leak. Even at that, they're not insulated and I've seen the ceiling sweat under the right conditions, so if you're storing things that absolutely can't get wet, it's not a good option. Also, if you can hand pick them, check the doors and latches real well. I've seen some that are damaged and you have to fight with them every time you want access. They have their place. Just know that it's crude storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

I have a couple of box truck beds. They have fiberglass tops and garage type doors. Wood on the walls make it easy to hang parts on the wall. The wood floor soak up any oil drops. Walter is right check for leaks and door operation. The last one I got was $1000 delivered for a 24'. I store a T and my farmall super C in it for winter plus a lot of parts.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Start by seeing your local building & zoning department will allow one to be placed on your property permanently.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

They are at best "crude storage". They get really hot. They're only 8' wide, which limits use. Worst of all, they're UGLY. IMHO they introduce a certain trashy ambiance to any property.

They work great for the intended shipping purpose. They're best left in that service. If you need storage space build something that doesn't reduce neighborhood property values.

My $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

We use a couple at work and they are great for our needs. That said, I am in Southern CA, a few miles inland from the coast, so we don't have high humidity, or extreme hot or cold days. It definitely gets warm in there during the summer but it's not uncomfortable.

You can get large silica gel packages to control the humidity (adequate for our area) if it's kept closed up, and you can regenerate them at home. I don't know how well they would work in an environment with extreme temperature or high humidity.

Some we line with shelves on one side, some on both. If you have shelving on both the isle is fairly narrow.

Being able to select one and check the doors and roof are key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

You can make them nice, i like the wood floor and window installed in this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Google shipping container garage, shed or house and see all the clever things that have been done:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shipping+container+garage&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s a=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSnOai_ePTAhXGx4MKHV8SDXMQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=702#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=shipping+container+shed&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa= X&ved=0ahUKEwj8uLbh_ePTAhWL1IMKHScDAPAQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=702

https://www.google.com/search?q=shipping+container+garage&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s a=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSnOai_ePTAhXGx4MKHV8SDXMQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=702#tbm=isch&q=sh ipping+container+house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Quick, easy, and cheap storage, and you don't have to pay property tax on them because they are not a permanent structure.

They are ugly, but I plan to put a couple behind the shop where they are mostly out of sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

If you can get a refrigerated one where the cooler has died, they are cheap, insulated. If you strip out the cooling gear, you get a dead space on the end about 18" deep. You can stand inside and look at the ground outside. Bolt in a grille/mesh to keep critters out and you get plenty of venting and still rain proof. Only drawback is the floor is generally a series of rails (to elevate the load an inch or so to allow cold to get around when in use).
many weld lock boxes over the padlock so you cannot get a saw to it to break in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

I had a car in a container that had a few vents cut into it for bout 10 years. Worked great! Came out just like the day I put it in there. You're right about narrow tho, best to store a car without doors. I've heard that they can "sweat" inside if not ventilated. Lucky for me I was storing an Studebaker Avanti, fiberglass on top, grease coating on bottom! Naturally rust resistant!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 12:02 am:

I once visited the famous Chris Eggsgard in Woodland Hill, CA. He had an early 1909 that was stored in a shipping container. He hadn't opened it in some time, when he opened it for us there was a petrified cat laying against the rear wheel. Chris said "I wondered what happened to that cat". The wood body and leather upholstery was pretty dry. I wouldn't recommend storage in one unless it's well ventilated .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:19 am:

I have one with doors in both ends. It has ventilation ports. We live in a dry climate. Works great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 06:56 am:

They work great for keeping your vehicles high and dry, as long as they are properly ventilated.
Shipping Container

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:32 am:

With the amount of gear we have to care for our disabled elder son, and the need to clear the house of clutter so we can move him around, we had to find some storage for quite a bit of stuff.

In Australia, there is a lot of one way traffic in containers from China. We sell them a lot of stuff in bulk, and get back manufactured stuff in containers. Rather than send back empties, we can buy units that have only ever made one trip, one way. Ours is 9' 6" high, comes with a plywood floor, is super clean and will be a nice home for a T sometime further down the track. These new ones have perfect seals, the doors are operable one handed. They are made to international shipping standards and even have grease points on the hinges.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

A good friend (RIP), had one put behind the shop. It holds his Model T and his sons Model A. There is enough room to open the drivers door so they can be driven in or out with a little storage room in front. They did build a roof over it, other then that I am not aware of any mold or drying out problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

If you buy TWO containers, set them parallel to each other, about 12' apart, you can then put some trusses up over them, with a roof on it, you can even frame in in between them--voila! Garage and storage or workshop places; add doors into them from the new covered area, electricity and you have a very inexpensive shop--depending on zoning ordinances in your area. Can we say "Temporary Ag Building?"
Oh, and now my dial-up connection finally downloaded the pics, and I see Ed has a photo of my idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Been thinking about doing that for many years. May have to yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shipping+container+shop+ideas&FORM=HDRSC2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

We had one which we stored used engines transmissions and heavy stuff. We are in the rain capitol of the world,Seattle. It worked out really well ours had a wood plank floor. All in all a good problem solver for cheap money.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration