'25 T Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '25 T Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

'25 TI bought this "new to me" '25 roadster last Christmas. Does anyone know if Ford ever installed '26 style rear axles in any of the late '25s ? (build date July 11th 1925) Or did this just get changed with the wheels sometime in the last 92 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

According to Bruce McCalley's book "Model T Ford the Car that Changed the World", page 352, Milt Webb owns (or owned) a late '25 coupe which came new with a '26 rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 12:45 am:

They also came with the small drum rear end with wire wheels. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Nice Runabout !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:53 am:

Since production of wire wheels (and corresponding hubs) didn't start until January 20, 1926, the hubs and wheels must have been swapped some time after the car was produced. It's very possible the rear axle was swapped too, to avoid having to convert the rear hubs, but some '26 style parts did certainly show up on '25 style cars in the weeks before the model changeover July 27, 1925, so it isn't totally impossible that the rear axle is original - but it would have had wood wheels and hubs when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:56 am:

I don't remember when my article was published in the Vintage Ford, but it was on the 1925 open car models. There were a number of changes in mid 1925. Some of them even occurred in late 1924. Nickel plated radiator shells, and the apron with the small strip like a '26, nickel headlight rims,
hand windshield wiper, rear view mirror, dash light, and the eight leaf front spring. The carburetor control changed to the '26 style adjustment too, and with that change, the dash board was modified to accept the 1/4" adjustment rod and new style knob, and along about May 1925 a new style tool and side curtain compartment was added in back of the gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Not too sure about Jan 20 1926 for wire wheels, that letter in Bruce's research was from the Fargo ND branch, a long way from Detroit!

Remember too, that the early Model A Ford, '28 came with welded spoke new wires, the infamous 'AR' style, for only a short time, then the '28 A 21" wire wheel had design change.

Perhaps likely, the Ford T welded wire wheel came along earlier, and there is proof of small drum rear wheel hub for the welded wire wheel.

And photo evidence too, as this display picture, in Ford Owner Dealer, Nov 1925 shows a '25 runabout with welded wire wheels! Takes time for a photo to get in a magazine, suspect this picture was taken before Nov 1925.

Here is proof of wire wheel small drum hub too!

One of others that this guy, N.O.S. Mr. Hatch, seems to be able to corral!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Dan, the November '25 picture is likely showing a set of prototype wheels. It takes time setting up mass production - and a lot of testing with prototypes beforehand. The note about start of production I'm referring to isn't from the Fargo ND branch, that letter was from January 7. The note about start of production January 20, 1926 comes from the Fishleigh files, Ford Archives: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc26.htm

And since the wire wheels were sold by the dealers, it's natural small rear drum hubs also were made available in 1926 - to sell wire wheels to all the customers with used cars out there.

It's just like the rare narrow transmission brake drums with lugs - the better solutions that came with the improved cars were also made available for older cars, for repairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Roger,

Very hard to fathom how or why "prototype" wire wheels might appear in a department store window display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Granted, he would have been barely 4 years old, but my dad distinctly remembered some late '25's having wire wheels. He also had precise memories of the family's '26 Fordor arriving at the house for the first time. If you knew my dad, you wouldn't question his recollections. Scary good memory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

To add to the difficulty of pinning down date changes, remember that magazines have long been dated a week or two after they were published. Today is May 10, but your new Capper's Weekly may be dated May 22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Dan T: Did you also have or post a picture of a 25 Roadster dressed in Christmas stuff in a Dealer window that had small drum wires on it? I seem to remember one the last time we all discussed this 25 Roadsters will wire wheels. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

I guess we will never know for sure. I'm not to worried about the wheels, as I am planning on putting wood wheels on this car at some point. This car has an eight leaf front spring as well, But '25 spindles. Is there a date code on the front axle? How about the rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Add another mix to the mixture. On some of our Canadian sourced cars in 1926, there were large drum wooden spoked wheels with 30 x 3.5" beaded edge rims and tyres instead of the 21" split rims with straight sided tyres.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:34 am:

I believe Herbrand is the only company that dated their fornt axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:38 am:

It is well known that Ford put their script on almost everything in the twenties. Is there such a marking on Dans hub, or is it possible it is an aftermarket item?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration