Ground location ideas for early car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ground location ideas for early car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:49 am:

I'm installing a starter in mt '11 (sorry Larry!!).

I've installed a 1/0 ground cable from a bolt at the bottom of the engine pan (below the bendix area of the hogshead) to one of the bolts holding the hand brake lever. I've also made a bracket to hold my solenoid that mounts inside the frame, also using the brake lever bolts. All connections are clean and tight, cable ends are soldered.(If you haven't tried the solder pellets for large cable connections, they'e awesome!). The total cable length from battery, through the solenoid to the starter is about 7'. The cable from the engine pan to the frame is 11".

I am using a 6V Optima battery, located under the rear seat on the driver's side. I'll be using a starter rebuilt by Ron Patterson.

I'm looking for ideas on where to run the ground from the battery. I don't want to drill any holes in my frame.

I've considered the rear body mount ear; it's possible, but that is awkward for the connections; the space is really tight there. Cable length would be about 20".

The middle body bracket is an option, as are the bolt holding the gas tank on the driver's side, or one of the bolts mounting the muffler. Or I can run it to the other brake arm bolt.

The plus with the gas tank bolt is convenience of the connection. The cable length would be about 42".

The muffler bolt is also convenient and the cable run is about the same as the gas tank bolt, maybe 6" shorter, but the path is then through all of the rivets, etc holding the frame together, and who knows if there is any corrosion between the surfaces (I expect there probably is).

Running it to the brake lever bolt is still longer, about 5'.

I've got plenty of 1/0 cable and connectors. I'm looking for specific recommendations please. I understand 'shorter is better'; I've got to make a trade off somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Gary
Bolt it right to the engine. Transmission or starter bolt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Gary, my cars have been sitting on the ground ever since I put them together!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Gary, Les is right, almost any bolt on the engine would work. I don't have a frame in front of me right now to consider what the shortest route would be, but the best grounding connection wouldn't be to the frame, but to the engine. It could even be the U joint cover. Shortest route that also doesn't interfere with any moving parts (like brake linkage)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

I had run a 1/0 connection between the engine and the frame, so I figured the frame would be a good connection. That said, it would be additional connection points and possible points of trouble.

I've removed it and run a home-run cable from a bolt on the bottom of the pan, just below the bendix, to the battery. I still wanted a bonding connection from the frame to the battery for a reliable ground for my brake light, solenoid, etc, so I placed a bonding connection on the driver's side of the frame.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration