New battery box cover and Larry's reproduction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New battery box cover and Larry's reproduction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Does anyone know if the current steel reproduction battery box covers fit Larry's authentic reproduction steel box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:57 am:

My understanding is that the reproduction battery boxes are a little smaller than original to allow a modern group 1 battery to fit in them without needing spacers.

If that is true, then a reproduction top would be too small to fit onto one of Larry's original dimension boxes.

Did I get the right, Larry? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Ok .... hmm. Have purchased one of Larry's reproduction steel boxes and will need an original lid. I have an original wood model T battery box that I would trade for an original steel battery box lid if anyone has one collecting dust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Regarding your wood battery box - is it a battery case, like the picture below? If it is, it should slip inside Larry's metal battery box.

By the way, the metal battery box in the picture is one I made myself using dimensions in an earlier forum thread. I'm sure that Larry's are much superior to mine. :-)

Unfortunately, I don't know of any car size 6V starter batteries that fit well inside the wood battery case.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:47 am:

I missed Larry' run this time, but I bought one from him in his previous run and his box fit my lid like a charm. I had no way of knowing if my lid was original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:25 am:

If somebody has tried a repro lid on one of my lower battery boxes, I's sure like to know. I've seen them, and they have been modified to where it doesn't require the handles to support it. I made two original style handles from a WOOD battery case. I think they are 1/4" CRS. I bought a piece of square box tubing and cut it to about 5" long, and then cut it diagonally to give me two pieces of angle iron. I then drilled two holes in the angle iron, and stuck the handle into the holes, and welded the handles to that. The handles just lay on TOP of the modern battery on each side, with no additional support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:42 am:

If you are making faux handles like Larry suggests to support the lid, I suggest making them out of something non-conductive or at least ensure that they are fastened somehow to keep from moving when you're bouncing down the road. I would not rely on the pressure from the lid clamps to keep them in place.

If they come in contact with the positive battery terminal it would be disastrous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Hey Mark,

Yes, that is the same wood box I have with Ford stamped on the side. I do not plan to use the wood box for the reason that a modern battery won't fit. I plan to use Larry's reproduction and a modern battery. I was offering my wood box for an original steel lid in the hopes that someone might like the original wood box as an artifact

I would like to know if the new reproduction stamped covers fit Larry's box because I have a fellow willing to sell me one right now. Might buy it anyway for someone who has the reproduction steel box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Ok ,so since everybody's all wrapped around the axle over these boxes,....I talked to one of the major suppliers of the reproduction box and lid. He say that the box measures 7 1/2 X 9 1/16. So, a group 1 battery fits nicely, but a original lid will not work.
Don
PS.,,,...you might as well throw away those wood boxes.

GOD,........I hope everybody's happy now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Is Snyders the company that makes the non-original battery boxes? I can't believe the ones I've seen with a Ford script! Ford never made them, so why the effort?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration