Interesting "T" Tow Vehicle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Interesting "T" Tow Vehicle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:44 am:

My first T tow vehicle, at my first National T Tour July 1980 Massachusetts towing my '14. I was "the young" guy then. The truck is a 1950 Ford. I operated a collision service at the time. The guy who picked up my scrap sheet metal, was taking this truck to the scrap-yard. On the way he stopped to pick up my scrap. I gave him scrap price for the truck and restored it. The original flat-head towed it down the highway at an easy 65 mph. I still have the truck. The boat I was towing in the last picture is a 1958 Century Resorter that was special built for the Florida Olympics. It is factory powered by a 312 Ford with three deuces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Always enjoy seeing photos of your Effie. Had 2 of the same vintage. Nice cruisers and cool as he!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Great looking truck! IMO, it needs a business related mural on the sides. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 06:57 am:

Thanks Gary and Mark. Mark, It would look good lettered up with Ford logos from the 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:14 am:

It took me two months full time work to restore this truck. At a show shortly after I finished it, a guy was really looking it over , he told me he had one like it for his company. I asked him what his company was. When he told me, I was surprised and told him this was his old truck, he said "no, our truck was scraped". I told him how I got it. He couldn't believe it and spent a long time looking it over and over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

"Two months?

You must have meant to say, "Two years!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

A friend called me one day and asked if I'd like to go look at a car with him.
We did this a lot. In the back of a basement, under lots of boxes and dust was
a 56 Chevy sedan delivery, still wearing blackwall tires, dog dish wheel covers
and business lettering for Beverly Hills Diaper Service and a telephone number
like "Exeter-2409". Sadly, he turned it into just another stupid hotrod with a
big engine, mags, and no business graphics. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:41 am:

2 months full time IS a long time. Figure every Saturday and Sunday at 8 hours a day would take 22 weeks or 6 months. Now the job done looks more like it took 6 months full time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:47 am:

very cool story, love the old owner running into it and not knowing it was their truck. Very nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Thanks guys.

Mike, two months was right. I thought it would take a month. It was worse than I thought. Being a New York vehicle the rust was even into the rear wheel houses. A junkyard I was doing business with at the time had a wrecked one but the wheel houses were perfect. I went and cut them out and welded them in. I had to hand make the quarter panels as well as many other parts. It was the first antique car I completely restored.

Chad, that's just how I did it, but way longer days. The only day off I took during it was 4 July. Spending that much time while I was running a business didn't work out too well. I had plans for many more restorations. When I learned about teaching jobs at our local trade school which followed the regular high school year with all the time off including the whole summer I decided to work my way to that. When a position came up a few years later I took it. I made a lot less money, but had a lot more time to restore the cars I wanted, plus health insurance and retirement, which I didn't have being self-employed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration