LOW HEAD-DO I NEED WASHERS?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: LOW HEAD-DO I NEED WASHERS?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Sorry to bother. I have seen the answer before, but can't find it here or in my noggin.
I am ordering new head bolts-low head.
Do I need head bolt washers?
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

No washers needed unless you're installing an aluminum head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Won't hurt to double check since it's easy to do. After making sure the holes are cleaned out and the threads chased with a bottom tap, set the head in place without a gasket and run the bolts in. If they snug down to the head you'll know they will be okay once the gasket is in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

If you decide to blow the debris out of the block holes with compressed air, have a vacuum cleaner sucking next to the hole, and be sure to wear eye protection! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

What Mark said, and cover everything else so you don't get crud in the cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Now now, blowing out compressed crud doesn't unlodge years of stuff lodged in the bolt holes, you need to clean them out by scraping until they are clear to the very bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:17 am:

If there are bolts in the holes how does crud get in there in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:31 am:

David - back in the 20's both the bad gas of the day and the oil caused more soot in the combustion chambers than what we get today. When it got too thick, you would get symptoms like engine run-on and spiking and had to pull the head and scrape off the carbon. Some of that scraped off carbon has a tendency to fall into the head bolt holes, so there was even an accessory invented and sold for the purpose of plugging the holes while working on the engine - short headless screws with a screw driver slot:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/136094.html?1271349729

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration