New 26 Coupe photo update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New 26 Coupe photo update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Drained out old oil this morning and added new, drained and refilled radiator, took out dead battery and put new one in. Good connection. Added some gas and tried to turn her over with the starter motor. Couple coughs but no fire yet. I'm also getting a fuel leak from the carburetor. Probably just a stuck float or needle. Will probably take the carb apart Thursday, clean and reassemble. Then I should be good to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

We have power Again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Is this original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Removing floorboards to get at the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Looks good to me! Time to close it back up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Out with the old, in with the new; did the same for the radiator and gas tank as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

How long has your 1926 sat with old gas? If the gas is 6 months or more old.....expect problems.
Suggest cleaning the carb and draining out the old gas before putting in fresh fuel.

I have a 1926 coup I purchased that sat since the early 70's that had old gas that turned to tar. Ended up replacing the tank and soaked the carb. for a week in lacquer thinner before I could get it clean. Can not say enough bad things about problems caused by old gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Matthew, if i were you i would check out why the brake band spring is bent and past the tangs on the band. Also why there is no apparent band material protruding from the left side of the band...Better safe than sorry. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Fortunately when I said I drained the gas tank it was misleading: it was bone dry when I got it. The former owner had kept it empty, and when he had gotten it had thoroughly cleaned it. John, thanks for pointing that out, I may have just had my hand on the brake pedal when I took the photo but I'll take a closer look for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:22 am:

A set of rebuilt bands? Sure. No problem.
Matthew, what's bugging me right now is the lack of oil on the bands and springs etc.
They should be awash in oil yet you are changing the oil so I'm prob'ly whining before I should be. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:43 am:

The photo was taken after I had drained the oil, but before I replaced it with the new stuff. No worries, a legitimate observation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Chances are the band lining is ok. The drums don't appear to be scored at all, so when you add fresh oil, pour at least one quart of it directly into the transmission all over the bands, or even two quarts! Give her a try. Just don't forget to put the other two quarts up front!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Matthew,

You need to reline your bands. The low band looks a bit used up, since the band ears are somewhat close together. But, the brake looks worse, with no apparent lining showing on the left end. It's probably o.k. to try the car out and go for a short ride, (as long as it still stops!), but it needs to be done soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Thanks guys, got it firing for the first time this morning! Tested out some throttle adjustments and let it sit a while idling to see how the cooling is. One word: excellent. Took it out for a 1.8 mile round trip to the firehouse and back. Went a long at a nice 25-30mph clip. Pretty sure I can pull faster in 2nd: I didn't open up the needle at all after starting so another 1/2 to 1 turn out might improve performance there. Took my sister out on that same route for another 1.8 miles. Her first ride in a Model T! The motor is absolutely excellent, purrs real well, idles with a slow chug with the spark only open one notch and throttle open one notch as well. No overheating from idling at 4 notches open on the throttle for even 20 minutes. It does NOT like reverse however, came to a boil backing it into the garage! Band adjustments maybe? I plan on taking the old liners out and putting in kevlars soon anyway. I took your advice from earlier and adjusted the bands some, that weird kink in the spring disappeared when I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

This is opening a can of worms, but I would suggest wood bands instead of Kevlar until you have much more experience driving a T. Kevlars are not very kind to the drums when over-used.
And looking at your last picture, I would definitely do something NOW, not later, That brake band looks like an accident about to happen. Maybe it's a narrow band with a wide lining???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Thanks David. I'm thinking of ordering kevlar bands to install later, but I'm also going to order a set of Scandinavia cotton bands to practice with until I get more adjusted to T driving. I figure Scandinavia bands are good for 1,000 miles or so, so that should give me plenty of experience with driving. I've seen the wooden bands but never had any experience with them myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Matthew, it looks like a nice car but, in addition to relining the bands like the others suggest I would suggest you thoroughly inspect your rear axle before you start driving the car too much. They are usually in bad shape and if any part between the U joint and both rear hubs fails you have no transmission brake. The car is 90 years old and there is no telling what has or has not been done in that time unless you take it apart and take a look.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration