Help, ring&pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help, ring&pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

This is my first model T , a lot had been done and not finished when I bought it. So, my first big mistake was when I bought a new high speed set of gears, I did get them from Snyders as they are close to me and I bought a lot from them years ago, and no tho' I'm asking here now, I have not talked to any one else. I'm just trying to learn to drive my car just around the yard but have a serious lack of power! The trans. had been rebuilt but to what was done I have no idea, I have been adjusting the bands (appear to be new) When starting out in low it bogs like I was starting out in a much higher gear! Is this just the HS gears set? The gears are listed 13-39, I think this is tooth count. I have posted about this set of gears months ago and someone said they were looking for the HS set but he was quite a ways away and still had his stock gears in his car as did I, and I didn't want to tear mine apart with cold weather coming(I'm getting older and don't work in the cold like I used to! Do I just go ahead and get the new stock gears? Or try to find a trade? My country here in NW Pa. is hilly so I never should have bought the gear I did, didn't know better at the time. The bands are adjusted to where they seem better now, but today the pedal over centered in low tho' it popped right up with my foot after stalling. I fixed that by running the linkage out further and adjusting the band.I need HELP! if I'm ever going to get this out of the yard! rear wheel brakes are new and adjusted right,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Thomas,
You are right about the 3:1 gears being the wrong choice in hilly country, especially if you have no auxilliary transmission or Ruckstell rear axle. They do require you to slip the band when starting out more than is needed with standard gears.

Once rolling, the car will have longer legs on the flat, but unless there are power upgrades, you will find it difficult to keep her rolling in hilly terrain. You will also find that braking efficiency is compromised by the 3:1 gears. Henry had it pretty well sorted for standard motoring in the day.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:19 am:

If you decide to go with stock gears I have a good original ring and pinion, just let me know what you want to do. You will have better take-off with a stock car with standard gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Thomas, You said you were driving the car in the yard. Whether the soil in that yard is wet or dry; dirt, or grassy; carpet grass (San Augustine) or no grass, makes a difference. Stay on hard pavement. If the car behaves the same with little power; then you've probably got a transmission/clutch problem. If it has normal power, you may still have a little adjustment to do, but not much. Driving on anything but hard surface creates "rolling resistance" putting extra stain on the engine, trans, and clutch.

Back in the sixties when my Dad and I restored my Grandfather's 27 T, I wanted to put an OHV head, cam, and 3 to 1 gears in it. My Dad didn't want the car modified that much from original, so he let me change to the 3 to 1 gears. Over the last fifty years, we never looked back or had any trouble, and I'm talking about a 27 coupe; one of the heaviest T's made. Granted, I live in flat land and the steepest hills that I have driven in, I could ride a bike up, but I've never regretted the 3 to 1's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Thanks, there are a couple of guys I will get back to on a PM. Mean while as to Terry Woods, yes my yard is very soft right now and as I mentioned on a slope.The bands in the trans were never fully adjusted as I have mentioned I'm new to this. The low adjust I turned far in with my fingers. The wheel brakes seem fine and the trans is much better. The motor sounds great (rebuilt as I got it) Sounds as healthy as I would hope 20 HP would, no smoke. I think I have something that should work ok except for the gearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

If the engine is totally fresh, it'll get some more power as you run it in. Any small amount of extra power is important in a Model T :-)

If still not strong enough after a few hundred miles, then consider a Z or Prus head - the simplest way to get some extra power at all rpms. I'm pleased with 3:1 in my light pickup (though I have a slightly more modified engine).

If in flatland, the only time you would have problems with 3:1 in a light T would be when on a tour with other T's - it would be hard to keep the same cruising speed as the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

The post reply by Gary London was great, good guy, he mailed the gears thurs. and they arrived today, I didn't get them picked up I was busy disassembling the diff. The help here is great, had a long talk with Gary and it helped to be assured that I have been on the right track with what I have been trying to do, such as getting trans. bands adjusted right, he's even sent me a band wrench that will help until I get my own! thanks to this forum! Now if I can get that brass exhaust nut loose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary j. baker on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:43 am:

please pm, me if you are interested in selling the 13-39 gears. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Gary Baker, We are just doing a swap, the gears he sent me are original 'stamped Ford' and very nice, still have machining marks on the teeth! All bolted up and ready to go back together tomorrow I hope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Glad to hear you've got them in, Tom. Let us know if the change helps!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Thomas, Be GENTLE with that exhaust nut, it's easy to break the manifold while wrenching on it!
Ford script gears, wow!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration