I have an '18 Runabout in my care that I'm resurrecting (some know this) and I was wondering about the cleaning and care of this type of headlamp switch.
I "think" I can get the C clip out of the stem to clean the horn button and lighting contacts but I am not certain.
Should I even try to get it apart?
I wish to use this switch as intended (OK, no dim setting as I did not get that dimmer coil along with. Off or bright for me at this point.
Any thoughts about the cleaning and care of this switch?
Push the button in and slide the C clip out.
Clean the contacts, make sure the spring is good, and put it back together.
: ^ )
From the photos you've taken, your switch appears to be in excellent condition. Follow Keith's advice above, and I believe you will be pleased.
That was fast! Thanks much!
Fears allayed (read Thrown out the window), press on.
C-clip came out with a struggle.
Before putting it back together, I smoothed the end of the spring where it's been gouging the stationary lighting power contact with fine sandpaper.
Note the crack on the contact where it's riveted? I'm not touching it. :-)
Cleaned up pretty nice. I used an eraser on a pencil.
I did need to remove some material from the top of the terminal at the 2 o-clock spot. It was mostly covered over.
Is this Bakelite?
See the crack on the horn terminal/contact too? I ain't touchin' that one either!
Perhaps I should've taken the square shaft and softened the sharp corners on the wire wheel on the bench grinder but I didn't. Easy enough to get apart if need be.
Order the correct wiring harness bits for this car (previous owners thought the car was newer but I'm pretending it's a stock '18 at this time),
a set of bulbs (I'm going to try the 1142's that Mr Jelf has been using), get the lights wired up, find someone dumb enough to crank it for me and try it out! Now where did I put those original wires?
I will be doing some cobbling for the short term. The steering column in it doesn't have a tube for the wires and I can't find any trace of the "weld" spots to hold a tube on.
Comments (good or bad) welcomed. :-)
(Message edited by Duey_C on May 11, 2017)
I'm thinking the ends of the spring are broken; usually the end coils are flattened out so the spring sits "square" and doesn't dig into what its against. that might be a "quick fix" replacement spring?
I'm glad you brought this back up David. :-) Groggy morning. First night under a c-pap.
I thought so too and don't really like the spring. Shoot. I've done things like that before, taking a side cutter to a poor defenseless spring and modify it.
Possibly replaced real early as the spring has been there a long time. It's pushed a groove into the underside of the knob where it rests so it nestles in snugly. And that stuff is hard.
I should've taken a pic.
Suggestions for a better/correct spring?
Hi Duey, I know of where you speak. I've been on one for 10 years now, and the wife wears one too--"We are the BORG, resistance is futile!
Now springs; hardware store? I'm betting that one is a bit too stiff.
Hahaha! Yep! I've been snoring my wife out of bed for a few years now. :-)
Luke, puhh ckehhh, I am your father, puhh ckehhh. Hehehehe! Darth Vader for the 35 that didn't get it...
I'm not snoring. I'm pretending I'm a tractor! And all along I thought I was cutting wood.
I figure you're correct about the spring, go to the local and dig in the spring section (Hillman?) for a stout little spring.
Actually, the spring and the switch feel pretty good. Heck, I have no clue how this 99 year old switch should feel. :-/
Larry, you know these switches quite well, yes? Would you care to share?
Duey, the confusing part is the mixing of Star Trek and Star Wars!!
I would think the spring has to only be strong enough to keep the button off the bottom contact--on the earlier button, the copper contact itself is the spring. Excessive spring tension might warp the Bakelite parts.
OTOH, I've not had one of these switches "in hand" so I could be all wrong!
Well, I did replace that spring today.
The local Fleet Supply had some Serv-A-Lite (US) springs that were close but we drove 15 miles North and I found a bag of 6 Century (US) C-566's (3/8 OD, 3/4 long and .032 wire) at Fleet Farm.
I shortened one to 1/2", ground and wire wheeled both ends smooth and voila! Feels good too! No more scratching. :-)
I did put a 1/2 drop of 3-in-one oil on the clip/shaft, actuated it a bunch of times, pulled it back apart and removed almost all of the oil so the shaft is just barely moist.
Don't know if oil would harm the switch body.
Works better as this clip is a snug fit in its groove.
The image of the tubes on a Borg got me thinking of sounds so it was Darth instead of Geri Ryan's 7 of 9 (tubeless) Borg character. Va Va Voom! ;-)