Need dimensions for 1926 Coupe muffler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need dimensions for 1926 Coupe muffler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Hi,
We have a 1926 Coupe under restoration and need dimensions of the parts for a muffler. I was given enough flat stainless sheet metal and round tube to make one. I think the outer shell is 12" long and 15-5/8" in diameter. Our T went thru hurricane Katrina in 2005 and hurricane Betsy in 1965 so we only have pieces of the exhaust system.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

This is dependent on whether or not you have an original tailpipe, as it originally was part of the muffler. Suggest you check past threads, especially in forum 2016 on mufflers--to many questions to for me to answer in one posting (I'm on dial-up, so my responses are limited, sorry!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

If you want it right, you almost have to make up a pipe. I made 50 of them a year ago. Gaslights muffler ends look very good, and the shells are available from the vendors. If you buy a modern reproduction, it will do the job, but are not correct. What I've always done for mine is to find original parts at swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

@John Page Sorry, 15-5/8" circumference, which is 5" diameter.
@Larry Smith, yes, I have to make the entire pipe and already have the stainless.

From another thread, seems like center tube is 3-1/2" which is 11" circumference (I care about this because I have to start with flat steel.) Will take pics of my muffler fragments and the stainless supply. Be prepared to laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Muffler pieces

Restroom towel dispensers

Toilet stall hand rails

Thanks gents for the photos and yes I have seen some. However, what I need are the dimensions of these parts. How deep are the bosses of the center and middle circles on the end caps? What size screw 1/4, 5/16? How wide and long is the oval outlet. No, I do not have a tail pipe after the muffler.
Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Here's a picture of a batch of authentic replicas of an original tailpipe. The rusty one is an original.
thought this might give you an idea of what they look like. In John's picture, the portion from the muffler to the manifold is a separate piece, as most reproduction pipes are done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 07:12 am:

Thanks David,
The flange can be measured from what remnant I have left of my original. There are three bends? What are the lengths of the four sections, or what is the distance from the end to each bend?

Here's a picture of my interpretation of the transmission oil screen made from this scrap stainless.
Stainless Transmission Oil Screen
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:52 am:

The grab bar happens to be the perfect size for the pack nut.
I'm going by the 12", 13", 14" dimensions I found on another thread.
The outer shell is complete and I don't call that welding. I just drop stainless 308 balls.
The middle shell is a compromise between muffle and back pressure. There are (8) 5/8" holes or 4.9 square inches of escape area for gasses to flow out.
The center pipe will be one piece to the pack nut flange.
My first experiment with an end cap went as expected and I have no shame displaying its glory here.
I'll probably use a 5/16" stainless fender washer on the end w/o spring tension unless I run into one.
pieces of a stainless muffler being formed
Thanks,
Vern

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration