Valve seat interference

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Valve seat interference
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

What should the interference fit be for the valve seats the suppliers sell? Is it the same for the intake and exhaust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

For cast iron blocks or heads about .005" interference. Aluminum heads .007" or so. This is usually built into the sizes of the seats and cutting tooling. Put the seats in before boring the cylinders if you can because the press fit can distort the adjacent cylinder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Jeff D. Judson gave this answer at a similar question in 2009: "The hole is machined about 0.003" smaller than the seat. They need to be driven in, preferably in one heavy tap rather than several small taps. Also, the seat is installed a couple thousandths below the top of the block, and is 'pinched' in by tapping a chisel-looking device around the new seat, something not unlike making a pie crust."

And in a 2013 post, Tom Lovejoy described freezing the seats for easier install - and using 0.006" interference? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/389469.html?1379583826

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:01 am:

Thanks for the help. I have a little Winona seat cutter with the mike that I'm going to try, I'll let you know how things turn out. I'll have make some tooling for it so it will be slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:07 am:

I have the Kwik Way setup with a good number of cutters and pilots that I got for a good price, till I got home and realized it was missing the drive unit! :-(
I didn't know what was missing till I looked at the instruction sheet. Someday I will come across one for a price I can afford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I use a loctite product to set the seats. I forget the number but it is rated for the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Loctite sleeve retainer 620 is what I use on valve seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Hey Mark check e bay once in a while they come up cheap. I got mine for 300. good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 01:33 am:

I check ebay every so often. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:39 am:

I'm lucky to have a mill with a DRO so it was easy to ream the hole, change to the cutter and go back to zero and cut the seat. The cutter did a very nice job.Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:49 am:

Try bolting angle iron the block when you clean up the manifold face. Makes set up easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Re the jig to set the cutters, I will have to check the cutters that came with the Kwik Way stuff to see if they are adjustable. Those setup jigs alone are pricey, the ones I have seen on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Yep, I am working on a 292 right now and needed some pilots and also blades for my cutters - expensive stuff ! Going to be looking and hoping at swap meets :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Check Ebay. (my turn :-) )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration