Was There Such a Thing as Oversize Ford Rear Spring Shackles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Was There Such a Thing as Oversize Ford Rear Spring Shackles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:45 am:

I decided to remove the modern replacement rear shackles with zerk fittings on Betsy and go back to standard Ford shackles with oilers. I replaced the bushings in both the spring and perches and picked out the two "best" stock shackles from a bunch that I bought at Hershey last year. One side went in just fine, but the other side wouldn't go in.

No problem, the bushings probably just need to be reamed. Nope, a 1/2 inch drill bit slid right through without removing any metal. I went back to my stash and picked out a different shackle and it slid right in.

So, I measured the oddball shackle and both arms measure out at 0.560 - 0.565!

What do I have here, a TT shackle, or an oversize T shackle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Shackles are approx. 9/16".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Ok, thanks Steve. Sounds like I found a pair of used shackles that are a good fit into un-reamed bushings.

I guess I need to get the proper reamer and a pair of new shackles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:11 am:

So, I went to Lang's website to order the reamer and a pair of shackles, and I see in the description of the shackles:

"original design correct for show car".

I seem to vaguely recall that some of the reproduction factory-looking shackles are too soft and don't last long in regular usage, is that why these are described as "for show car"?

Looks like I have one original shackle that measures the full 9/16, does somebody have another original shackle that also measures the full 9/16 that they would be willing to part with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Your car uses the standard U shape shackle. They are on ebay all the time. Get you mikes out, and when you install them, be sure to put them in the correct way. I see them all the time put in backwards! I was lucky when restoring my '25 about ten years ago, I was able to locate NOS script shackles. I prefer brass bushings for mine so as not to wear out the shackle, and I ream them with an adjustable reamer for a good fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:51 am:

I'll look on Ebay. I put the nuts facing the rear, like it showed in the Ford service manual.

I have the reamer on order from Lang's and will swap in the unworn shackles once I have them and the reamer in hand. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

These types of reamers are handy.

A 14mm drill bit also works.
It is slightly smaller than 9/16".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Bob Bergstadt just came through with an NOS shackle to match the unworn one that I already have, thanks Bob! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

A 14.5" drill bit or reamer will put the bushing hole back to standard size. .560-.565 is about right for an unworn shackle pin (not sure of the true exact size). I know the 14.5mm size equates to .570" .

Glad Bob was able to fix you up with a good shackle.

I must be one of those doing it wrong, I put the nuts on facing the front. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

If in doubt, I always refer back to the Ford service manual. It shows the nuts facing the rear of the car for both the front and rear shackles.

It's probably just dumb luck, but my worn shackles fit the un-reamed bushings pretty well, certainly well enough to make a few test drives before the unworn shackles show up. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration