Rear wheel safety floating hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear wheel safety floating hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

A few years ago I installed Texas T safety hubs on the rear axle of my 1926 TuDor. I also have sure stop disc brakes. Today I decided to disassemble the hubs and do an inspection. I drive the car a LOT, more than 5000 miles a year maybe more.
1. I had trouble getting the hubs off. But that is good, it indicates that the axle shaft and hub tapers are good. (and the fact that I'm getting old) After grunting a bunch the hub came off.
2. The axle key looks good, no visible damage of any kind.
3. The axle shaft key-way also is still nice and sharp with no damage.
4. The wheel bolts are still tight and do not show any loosening of the nuts. The floating hub is secure. There is no sign of oil or grease leakage into the brake housing. Nice and dry.
5. The needle bearing looks good and tight with some lube on them.
6. The large bearing rotors easily and does not show any side play.
7. My disc pads are worn and should be replaced.
8. The disc itself seems a little glazed and I'll clean that up.
So other than dirty, and maybe new tires, I think this setup has lasted just fine after about 20K miles.

My question is have I forgotten anything, before I put it back together? Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration