Need a Picture of Installation Front ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need a Picture of Installation Front ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

.... Pancake Hassler components. Preferably just one side and is the 'cradle' on which the Hassler spring rests bolted below the T front spring like the earlier 'beehive' style? Thanks in advance..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Front Pancake Hassler installed.

The front arms are marked with Hassler patent plates, they must read right side facing to the front, as these arms come in left and right, and shackle oilers note left from right. The shackle oiler faces out.

And....don't pull out and swap right to left perches as done with the Beehives, simply twist each perch around 180 degrees, to fit the Pancake arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

Forgot to answer you question George! The Pancake spring just sits on top, the arm and weight of the front end keeps the spring in place. The spring has just 'tabs' that hang over the spring stack.

Front Pancake spring on left, Rear on right.
Note the bit of a tang on the Front Pancake 'tab', that end of the tab goes toward the spring clip on the front spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Thanks Dan ! That perfectly answered my many questions ! So the 'tang' goes toward the perch, arm oilers face toward the front and the spring ' cradle' just sits on top of the T spring.
Now for the fun part: the '26 roadster I acquired and restored has a front set of the "beehive" style of Hasslers. I now need to determine if the perches were swapped around or just turned 180 degrees. Many thanks for your advice and pictures.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

I put a set on my 27 Coupe, the real fun starts when you try to compress the pancake spring to get the shackle installed. Maybe Dan knows an easy way to install these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Frank

Can be more fun with some good tools :-)

Here is quick step-by. Tools for me are floor jack, big C-Clamp, wood wedge, and for safety a few more stationary jacks back under the frame, as the wheel and spring will be off.

Rotate Perch 180 degrees, then loosely assemble Hassler arm and spring, the arm has clip underside to lock to the top of the Pancake spring.

Then place wood wedge, but this along with weight of the T won't quite do it.

So use floor jack under the perch, and apply the big C-clamp on the arm to compress the spring in aligning the shackle holes in the spring and Hassler arm.

Easiest one person way for me to compress the spring and fit the shackles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

I don't remember exactly how I did it since I did a little of this and a little of that to put it together, but that is about what I did also.
Thanks Frank

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration