Have you dealt successfully with green tyres?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Have you dealt successfully with green tyres?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Yes, tyres. We're talking New Zealand here.

Last month's misadventure with bad alignment practically ruined a front tyre before I realized what was happening.

So last week when I saw new front tyres on sale at a fabulous price I ordered one. It arrived yesterday.

Like the previous tyres, it's NOS from New Zealand. But unlike the others, it has some green stuff all over it. This view shows the side I haven't tried to clean yet.

I began my cleaning attempts on the worse side. Like Edison, I was very successful in finding what didn't work. The agents which had little or no effect included acetone, lacquer thinner, window cleaner, petrol, and charcoal starter. I phoned Lucas and was told soap and warm water would remove the stuff. I tried dish detergent, shower cleaner, and Boraxo. A combination of those did a little good. Bleche Wite did a little more, but certainly didn't get all the stuff off.

Here's a closer look at the unwashed side of the tyre.

This is the "clean" side. Some of the green stuff is so stubborn that thus far it's refused to go away.

This is also on the washed side. Not good enough.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Did you find a solution?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

When I would do the white walls on the former wifes car, I always used Comet and stiff hand brush. On my T's back tires that were browning used the same and followed with a non-gloss tire dressing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Obviously a job for Oxy-clean, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Brakekleen might take it off. You will probably have to put on some type of dressing after as it can dry out rubber. Try a little spot first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Years ago all the white tires that we sold had that coating. We would just use water and a mild soap with a brush after mounting. If you used a solvent it would be much harder to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

Soap and water. It's just a preservation coat. Using other stuff won't work as good as fish soap and a stiff brush. From experience I speak!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Common coating on WW tires. Soap & water + a mild brush. So old it's new. ( to some).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Soap, water, and a scrub brush. Takes a little time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

He's using up and the money he saved on the tire, just to spend it on cleaning products!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Knowing Mister Thrifty, he using what is handy around the farm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Try soap n water followed with a Brillo pad scrub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Just drive it through the mud a couple of times and you won't have to worry about the green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+get+blue+preservative+off+of+whitewall+ti res&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737&oq=how+to+get+blue+preservative+off+of+whitewall+ti res&aqs=chrome..69i57.9759j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Steve, I use spic and span to clean the wide whites on my harley. Worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

SOS pads always got my whitewalls nice and clean no matter what was on them. getting all of the green off around the raised letters might be tough. I suspect that the green stuff is/was the same as the blue stuff used now to protect whitewalls on new tires.
it easily comes off with soap and water on a new tire, but if you leave it on for a while, it dries out and becomes nearly permanent. Your NZ tyre is probably quite old and the green is cured and dry. It wants to stay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I suspect those of you who removed the stuff with soap and warm water did so when it was relatively fresh. No telling how long it's been on these NOS tyres, and apparently the passage of time makes it more stubborn. Lots of hard scrubbing with Oxi Clean, Comet, Dish Detergent, and Bleche Wite did some good, but the most stubborn deposits refuse to leave. I'll mount the tyre with the better side out and call it good enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

ATTA boy Steve, that's the spirit !!! Damn the green stuff, full speed ahead. Hope they stretch .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Nothing cleans white tires better than driving in the rain. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Eric...not so! Poor Pete got caught in THREE rain showers, one pretty heavy, last year in one day on a tour! Made no difference. The tires just kept getting browner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:01 am:

It looks like PVA (poly vinyl alcohol) which is used as a mold parting agent. Warm water and soap always worked for me. I guess if it sits for a few years it will take a little more elbow grease to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I would actually question the NOS from New Zealand statement. Where / who did you buy them from ? Firestone have not made Beaded Edge (clincher) tires here for many years. Did they have a moderately fresh tire smell ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Steve:
John is correct ...looks like PVA to me as well ...submerge the tire (tyre) in water for a few days to allow the material to soften ...then it should rinse away with very little effort ...always an optimist...Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

I don't know Steve that first tire sure looks "period" correct to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Coker tires uses a 'blue protective coating' on their white wall tire final step to protect the white surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsSwmR8bck

Purchased Pirelli tires for the truck and the raised outline white letters had blue over them, scrubbed with brush and soapy water and the white letters got white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Ivan:

I bought the tyre from Lucas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

As I have mentioned in another thread recently, Firestone stopped making 30x 3&1/2 tires here years ago not that I ever recall seeing white tires on the shelves. If made here, I would suggest they are nocking on 50 years old. I believe the moulds ended up in Vietnam ? and I bought a set of black tires some years, came packed with "made in Vietman" stickers on the wrappers and recall showed the Made in NZ still on the sidewalls. They are wrapped and stored away so cannot easily dig out and check.
But certainly not made in NZ for many years.
I'm here and sourced mine thru Chatanooga !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:54 am:

Steve, I doubt that this will do you much good what with all of the other suggestions posted, but back in the '60's-'80's we used Comet cleaner, or another like product, and a BRASS bristle brush to clean any white rubber. Worked great, but of course the "gunk" on them wasn't 50 years old either. The brass bristle brushes did do a lot better job than just any old stiff brush though. Good luck! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:46 am:

The correct answer is....................Steam cleaner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will clean and brighten the white tyres like new.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

On my new set of Firestone W/Ws for my Model A I had some stubborn blue stains from the protectant gunk all over the sidewalls very similar to yours pictured. I got them very clean with careful use of Goof Off (paint spot/spill remover) saturated on a paper towel. Needed to renew the paper towels quite often since once the gunk was lifted off the sidewall, it would easily reattach from the paper towel.

Be careful not to rub harshly with the solvent and be sure to wash off excess residue after cleaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Steve, any update? Was the tire shop able to mount the tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Going green with a T beats buying a Prius 😊

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Mark, update here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/754944.html?1495057108

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration