Dropping tank today, Need suggestions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dropping tank today, Need suggestions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

After fixing and painting Radiator and engine. Got everything up and running. However engine only runs for 5/6 minutes and dies. I recleaned the carb and drilled/cleaned and replugged idle circuit . Removed sediment bulb and flushed a couple gallons of gas threw it and got some junk acme out .Did this a couple of times till clear. Engine still died. So pulling tank for through cleaning and sealing.
Need some recommendations on shops that have done well and hopefully in the Missouri area.
This is for a Cowl Tank. To bad the vendors haven't come up with new made tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Radiator shop will steam clean and fix. Did mine for $35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Thanks Ignacio, Haven't found a reliable Rad shop close by. Seems it's a dying craft. Hopefully I can find one close by that can use a good epoxy coating/liner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Consider a coating carefully. They can and do fail. It's very difficult to clean the inside of a tank well enough to accept a coating 100% and even then, that coating is living in very adverse conditions. I have steamed a lot of failed epoxy jobs out of tanks and it is a chore. A clean, dry, tank even with a little rust in it is not a problem with a standpipe strainer on the outlet. Even coated tanks can get (or be left with) a fair amount of trash in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

My dad had the tank coated back in 02/03. worked ok until I had the car in SoKal. and was using mandated mystery fuel. Melted out all the tacky red goo stuff. Now looking for a better alternative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I have had great success with the POR 15 tank cleaning/sealing kit. I have no experience with the fuel problems you fellows report. Others may chime in here.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:01 am:

If you can't find someone local and are willing to ship your tank Lilleker does clean them http://mrmodelt.com/restoration-services/general-services/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Thanks for the heads up John. I'll call them on Monday and check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Now if I can only get this &%$@%^& Tank out. Black book shows a very simple procedure. But it seems that the tank outlet for the sediment bulb might be a little on the long side. This is on a late 26/27 model touring. Have read of difficulties on open cars such as this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Not as easy as the book says. I had to drop the steering column and remove the dash to get the straps out. Disconnect the battery as well. Was wrestling with the tank and it fell out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration