Cleaning a carburator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cleaning a carburator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I searched Amazon for a carburator-washer and it returned listings that looked like small donuts. There is no way I can fit a carburator in the small hole.

I know my wife would get upset but do you think I could use a dish or cloths washer?

I am thinking I could add a bit of MMO to the machine so a bit of magical action can take place and I might use a water pump to recycle the cleaning solution.

Last guestion - should I remove the gasoline from the carburator before using a torch to heat seat so I can remove it?

I know these are a bunch of questions but this is the first time I have thought about cleaning a carburator just after spending a week in San Jose and drinking Southern Comfort to help acclimate myself to the beautiful Northeast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Fred take an aspirin and call us in the morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:36 am:

I have used a dishwasher for the final cleaning of automatic transmissions prior to assembly. Works great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:38 am:

A ultrasonic cleaner works great for carburetors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Fred,

Now that you watered the pink elephant don't forget to feed him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:50 am:

You can buy a gallon can of carb cleaner at NAPA and immerse everything right into the can. Let it soak a while and it'll help enable you to dismantle everything. Use air to help blow dry the carb after you've let it air dry a while. When done you can reseal the can and keep using it. If you leave the gas in the carb and then use a torch, your next report may be from the hospital when done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Some carb cleaner will eat early pot metal parts. IMHO a light bead blast and an ultrasonic cleaner is the only way to go.

The ultrasonic will also help loosen stuck internal parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Dennis, can we refrain from bringing up pink elephants. Lately I've had a few issues.

What was abnormal has become expected.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration