What ultrsonic claner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What ultrsonic claner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Hi From Iowa! I was just reminded about the advantages of having an ultrasonic cleaner for carbs & other small parts! What do you folks that have experience with these suggest & where do we get one? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Little cheap one -- RCBS from any sporting goods store. Here they are about $125.00 I've had two of them running countless hours a day from about three years trouble free. The other small ones I tried were crap, one didn't last a week. I think mine are 2 liter. Don't get too big a one or it won't clean well on smaller parts.

If you want a better one for more money -- there is somebody on ebay that sells one with 8 transducers or whatever those things are that make them work. Friend has one in a similar size to mine that works great.

Remember they have to be full of cleaning solution to work, they won't work partially filled.

My formula: Water, RCBS brass case cleaner, about a quarter cup or less of Simple Green, a shot of denatured alcohol every time I put a new batch of parts in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Stan: As Always - Many Thanks!! You Guys Always Seem To Have the Answers!!! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

I picked up an older L&R at the local watch and clock mart for $150. The tank size is 11.5 x 9.5 x 7 deep. Some have tank heaters and some dont. This was one without. Picked up the cup heater at a local store. Seems to work better if the solution is heated.

Stan, thanks for your formula, Ill have to give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Harbor Freight has them too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/professional-cleaning-systems/ul trasonic-cleaning-solutions/ultrasonic-case-cleaner-prod55394.aspx Lifetime warrenty if you by from Brownells

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

There is a huge difference in what they will do. I've had a couple that were no better than stirring it around in water with a little soap in it and I have a big one that is about worthless that I paid 700 for. It's ok for bigger pieces but for little ones it doesn't do much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Randall, that is the exact ones I have. At Sportsmans Warehouse here they had them on the shelf at $139.99 -- I paid that for the first one then one day I was in there buying some ammo and they had them on a 10% off coupon. They only have a one year warranty, tho in store. If Brownell's have a life time warranty that's a better deal.

I have cleaner goop in the first one, the great revelation to me was the amount of bead blast media that ended up in the bottom of the ultrasonic after I thought I'd blown all the dust out of what I was cleaning.

The second one I use for getting a better shine on the brass. I use some stuff I got off ebay for that. Comes in a little white tub and is expensive but it really puts a shine on them.

I have mine setting on a roll around red tool box so I can have drain tubs in one of the drawers. Just open the drain and let it set overnight, dump it back in in the morning and most of the grease and crap will settle out overnight. I give it another little shot of Simple Green, a half a cup of denatured alcohol and throw the next carb in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:15 am:

I bought a used Branson off eBay. It doesn't have a heater but has done a fine job for me. I'm making an attempt to learn a bit about some different carburetors. So far I've tore into a Stromberg OE-1 and I'm about to start on a Stromberg OF. It's my hope to try them on my speedster in the future.

So far I've been happy with the Branson cleaner. As time goes on I'm learning and developing improved cleaning fluid formulas. Now after reading about Bob Doris' cup heater, I'll be trying one.

Stan's website has been an inspiration. Just looking at the carburetors he's rebuilt keeps me motivated to continue learning. Thank you Stan. Oh, and as soon as I get a couple extra dollars I hope to order some parts from you for the OE-1.

Something I'm finding is that carburetor rebuilding is an exercise that requires patience, a lot of hard to find knowledge, developed skill (I'm coming up a little short on the skill part) and possibly some kind of magic "touch" that apparently the good lord has not bestowed on me yet.

Honestly, I've put enough money into learning how to rebuild carburetors to have paid for a couple of those beauties that Stan already has available. But foolish persistence and a strong desire to waste money seems to drive me on.

Maybe I should be collecting pretty little stones off the gravel road in front of my house instead :-)

Or basket weaving! Hmmmm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Stan, are you still restoring brass carburetors?

I have a Stromberg OF that I would really like to get restored.

Are you doing that kind or just real Ford carbs?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration