My birthday present, Meet Clara, 1918 Couplet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My birthday present, Meet Clara, 1918 Couplet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:10 am:

I have been chasing this car since the end of March 2017 and was finally able to see it last Monday. It is titled as a 1923 coupe. From the previous photos the owner sent, the suicide doors the chassis and engine number it could be a '23. Something looked off for a '23, but I bought the coupe any way.

I referenced McCally's black book for coupes and when it was delivered upon more inspection it is a 1918 couplet body on a later chassis. I believe a 5 18 is stamped into the passenger side door sill. Some hardware and interior photos are posted

Since my birthday is this week I told the lovely bride you can give Clara to me for my birthday.

Yup some assembly required but should be not that bad as the body is solid as is. Will look for the correct running gear and engine before getting her on the road. I also plan to title her as a 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:15 am:

A few more hardware and interior photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

It appears you snagged a rare bird !! Congratulations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:57 am:

It's about time. As they say good things come to those who wait and a blind squirrel will eventually will get the acorn

Donnie Brown asked me to post the above photos, hope he's not disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Now, if you can find the serial numbers for all of the 1918 coupelets, and find an engine with one of those serial numbers and a build date consistent with whatever date or dates are on your coupelet body, and start gathering up all of the correct 1918 parts consistent with the build date of your selected serial number, then .....

You will have demonstrated much more patience than I could ever muster! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Congratulations. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

I've got a spare 8/31/17 cast date motor with a September of '18 serial number that's ready to drop a car. It would be perfect for an '18 Couplet. I'm asking $1,800. Let me know if your wife wants to buy you another birthday present. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Incredible!
You have just added to the known count of removable pillar coupes by one. And raised that count by about fifteen percent. Although I am sure a few people must have known of its existence. A rare car indeed! Can you tell yet which one of the three known body variations it is? The rounded top padded-to-the-belt-line '17 it of course is not. The apparent date code you found confirms that it should not be a '17 anyway. It likely was one of the last '18s, and one of the last of the removable pillar T coupes.
I also find it interesting that you indicate that much (Most? All?) the chassis may be later (1923). One of the other few surviving removable pillar coupes is on a '22 or '23 chassis, and has a known history back to when it was new. I don't remember the reason for it, but the body was put onto a new chassis in the early '20s. There have been many club discussions about whether that car should be "properly" restored to a "proper' '18 chassis, or kept on the later chassis because that is a real part of that car's history.
As an '18, your car should have many earlier features, including the earlier front engine/spring mount, enclosed spool rear end, over axle wishbone (maybe, on the fence-line), Forged running board brackets, and clear glass in the headlamps. It also should be non-starter and have oil tail and side lamps! (Look for the bracket mounting holes in the body). It would be a striking car when done all in black!

Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:12 am:

Meet Clara, 1918 Australian Bodied Touring Car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 07:08 am:

Peter M, Now, that one I like, wire wheels and all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Thanks Wayne, speaking of wire wheels...what is the opinion of the brains trust on the make of these wheels? I always thought they were American Welding Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:28 am:

George, Thanks for the photos. Im glad it turned out to be a Couplet. A very rare car. 1918 parts are not that hard to come by, and with some good research as to the proper features of a 18 Couplet, you have the makings of a nice, and very rare car.... Have fun and be safe, Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Good for you! Did the removable pillars come with it? I have a '17 Coupelet which is even rarer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

After going thru the parts that came with the coupelet, I am going to move forward to correct it as a mid to late 1918 coupelet. I received some inspiration from Mike Husted from Idaho whom sent me info on what he did with his coupelet. Yes the pillars and hardware are there.
My wife named the coupelet Clara after her grandmother who was a backseat driver/ nervous passenger. I will post every now and then on her progress, but first the Runabout needs to be finished. They will make a nice compliment to each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Congratulations, George, that will make a nice car. BTW, you are not limited to all-black as a color choice. Some '18 Coupelets came with dark green bodies and black fenders, etc. That would really make the car stand out amid a sea of black ones. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration