Ruckstell Floorboard Dilemma

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ruckstell Floorboard Dilemma
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I'm in the home stretch of the Ruckstell installation on Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring car.

The shifter and push/pull rod with its guide brace have been installed.

Next, I made a cardboard duplicate of the rear floorboard to determine where to cut the hole for the shifter to come through. It's hard to believe that the small oblong hole that the other thread called out and that the trim plate fits over will be long enough, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I cut the cardboard template to fit and used the template to cut the hole in my floorboard, all went well.

However, I can't lower the floorboard down over the shifter and my parking brake lever at the same time! Why, you ask? Well...

Years ago, I bent my parking brake lever over at an angle to give me more legroom.

I have no doubt that the floorboard will fit properly once it's down, but I can't get it there because the top of the brake lever is inches too far to the left (due to my bending)

I don't want to give up the legroom from bending the brake handle - I guess I'll have to cut a slot on the LH side of the floorboard to allow it to slide over the brake handle from the side, instead of lowering it over the top. Bummer!

Has anyone else run into this issue? If yes, what brilliant solution am I missing?

Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

You could try a re-bend of the handbrake lever above the floorboard.

That's how fitted the lever in the '27, to get lots of left leg clearance. Bent the curve in the lever well above the floorboard opening. If bent too low, it can comprise the lock pawl on the quadrant, by offsetting the pawl tooth.

Carefully cold bend, but you can use torch if you want, its good Ford steel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Thanks, Dan. I doubt the re-bend would be enough.

Is that fitting and tubing on your hogshead an external oiler of some kind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Notch the side of the floor board and then make a screw down 2 piece plate with a flange bent down to sit on the lip of the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Mark

Yes, the alum fitting is outlet for the high volume oiler. Hydraulic oil line hose routes to inlet on the side of the crank case between 1 and 2 rod dips in the tray, lots of oil to the front!

Using the high pressure hose on barb fitting reduces risk of copper or brass tubing fracture, lost of all the oil would happen quickly with these high volume set-ups :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I did what Mark Gregush suggested. Cut a notch in the side, now I'm making a screw-down filler out of the section I cut out. It's going to work well.

It will be covered up by the floor mat anyway, but it will look more finished and complete this way.

Thanks Mark! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

:-) You are welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Mark, you'll post a couple of pics? Yes? :-)
I'd like to see.
I'm not Ruckstell-ready yet but I zee every parking brake lever I use.
Shoot, I'm just itchin' for you to take it out and try it for a report back! :-)
Oh! The belts on the axle! Travel limiters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks Duey, I just posted an update in the other thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/754441.html?1494722102

Yes, those leather belts are travel limiters, otherwise called "rebound straps".

I didn't get in my bike ride today, planning on going bike riding tomorrow.

I'll be too tired when I get back to contemplate a test drive. Maybe Monday I'll install the rear wheels, lower the car down, check all the fluids, and go for a test drive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

You have fun tomorrow!
I have the patience of Job if need be. ;-)
I was happy to remember the "rebound straps" as far as I did. :-) Took me a whole day...
Both of my roadsters have tried to buck me off down on my hill... Boing boing! Hey! Hold on here!...
I like!
Thank you sir. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:59 am:

I had to cut a left to right slot in my floorboard to get it to work. If the handbrake came straight up, it wouldn't be a problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration