HELP!? Shorted my car out?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: HELP!? Shorted my car out?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Tried fixing/hooking up the tail light, last remaining thing to fix on the new 26 coupe since it was out. Noticed some flickering once I got it on. Had lights on, stupidly, trying to adjust the wire. Shorted out whole car. Now nothing works: no headlights, no BATT buzz for power, no dash light. WHAT DID I JUST DO!!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Matthew, it sounds like there is some kind of fuse/fusible link in your system to protect the car. You need to find it. But first you need to find out why the system shut down.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Matthew, i agree with Allen that someone before you was probably smart enough to install a fusible link. There is a kit available that goes between the positive cable and the starter. (My pic shows it as a yellow fuse capsule next to the frame. If not there, follow the wires from the Batt to see if one exists.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Problem sourced: some sort of cutoff found spliced behind the tail light into the wiring: a small pink, hard tube kind if thing. Disconnected and reconnected, lights are back on (minus tail light which I will be leaving alone until replacement sockets/wiring is ordered). Battery buzzing, crank started just to check things out. Back in business!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Yessss!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:58 am:

I don't understand how anything in your light circuit could have anything to do with your ignition or coils. Can you post a pic of this "Hard tube kind of thing"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Listen to Mr. Matthew above, the fusable link from fun product could save you from just a pile of ashes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Listen to Mr. John above, the fusable link from fun product could save you from just a pile of ashes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:10 am:

I'm confused- if one's wiring is up to snuff and installed properly why would a fuseable link be necessary?

Am I one of those not "smart enough" to have a fuseable link installed. I've never had a problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Tim, Electrical gremlins could happen at any time even if things seem they are in good condition. If you install the Fun Projects kit into the yellow wire (which powers the car) off the starter switch, you would be much better off to have a fuse blow than to melt the wiring and risk the possibility of burning up your car in the process. Think of it as a very cheap insurance policy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:48 am:

Tim, look upon it as an insurance policy. You never need insurance if you never have a problem, but I bet you have insurance to cover other risks.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:12 am:

The short in the new wire you were working on, may have put an overload on the wiring system. It may be the battery terminals are possibly dirty or not tight enough. One terminal could have created an open (no contact) until the bad tail light ground issue was fixed. If this is not it, what would it hurt to clean cable and terminal connections. A good place to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I don't know whether you have this type of circuit breaker or not, but on a 41 Ford I once owned, the tail light wire hit the exhaust pipe and grounded out. All the lights went out. I found out that there was a circuit breaker in the system and when I fixed the problem with the tail light, the lights worked again. I suppose, it would be possible for someone to have installed a circuit breaker in your T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

A fuse at the starter button, in series with the rest of electrical system is not a good idea. That fuse could open circuit the generator, allowing the generator voltage to reach a level that will fail the windings. A better location for a fuse is in series with the positive wire that goes to the dash light switch and battery side of the ignition switch, bypassing the generator. Brad.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration