Tidy Spark Plug Wires With Wire ties.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tidy Spark Plug Wires With Wire ties.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Another use for tie wraps:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Your not a fan of the web series Roadkill, are you? They do that a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:47 am:

If you had a timer, you wouldn't have to do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:50 am:

In the picture, the wires look very close to the exhaust manifold. Maybe an optical illusion, but be careful you don't burn off the insulation.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Hal, your projects are always interesting.

I really like the way you pressurized and filtered the oil system and fan clutch for the compressor. Pretty neat and clever engineering! Is there an alternator on the other side also? I think this is your air conditioned sedan isn't it? You should show the wheels you built from sticks of wood for this car, a real work of art!

Terry

(Message edited by Thorlick on May 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

It works I guess, but white tywraps are a bit overboard (and not UV rated)!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Thank's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Lary, my other 2 T's have timers.....preaching to the choir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Garnet, I'll make sure the under the hood sun lamp is kept off.

I've decided I'm to stupid to post to this forum.

Thank's Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

don't quit us, Hal!! love your posts. like it to clean up the engine. I bet if they were available, many folks in the 20's would have done the same. even Edsel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Don't feel bad, Hal. I'm in the same boat you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

That's how the NASCAR guys do their wires, so you're in good company. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

My roadster, which has a distributor has zip ties on the plug wires too. I didn't space them out like that, but just used them to keep the wires away from the exhaust manifold.

Clever idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Here we have another language problem. We call those ties cable ties. A wire tie is the paper encased wire used to tie plastic bags closed or to train plants on their stakes.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

No Allan, some of us rubes (like me) in the U.S. also use the nomenclature you do. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Chad, I'm a huge fan of Roadkill also. My son and I even went to a PowerTour event and met Freiberger and Finnegan.

And...I've also copied Freiberger's zip-tie trick for spark plug wires. Here's the wires on the 302 in my 54 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:21 am:

Hal, IF you feel you are too stupid for this forum...
I shouldn't even turn my computer to the ON position.
:-)
Oh wait. Maybe I really shouldn't... Prolly not.
Hal, don't you dare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 04:44 am:

BRAVO Hal, well thought out application. Those look like silicone plug wires which will take more heat than that T will produce. Why worry about being a purist when the original owners weren't? 5000 different aftermarket items available back then proves it for me. Make that T YOURS....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Wow, that's really tidy and looks "clean" -- I never would have thought of it. I know some modern cars where this would be very useful, especially when the factory holders fail. One would be the 79 Toyota 20R engine, which will develop a miss at idle if the wires are not run parallel to each other (which then screws up the smog test!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Not to kill "roadkills" buzz or whoever they are, but race teams have been doing this for years. We did it on our cars, but we would get creative with the colors---usually neon. One night another team was looking under the hood of our car and asked where did you get those plug wire holders. I told them that I stock them right in the trailer in "kit form" for $100.00. He had his wallet out and the look on his face was priceless as I counted out 20 ties and handed them to him. Needless to say I just handed them to him for free. He honestly didn't know and sharing info like this is great. So good job Hal on sharing this for others who didn't know!! I will share that in my shop, we use ties like this on brake lines where modern abs systems can have as many as 7 brake lines running side by side. Don't let a few ruin sharing good simple tips that really work!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration