26/7 model T r/pu tail board chain and Hook

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26/7 model T r/pu tail board chain and Hook
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:13 am:

Hi folks now that i have finished the deck of my model t R/P could someone be able to tell me the length of the chain,and the size of the hook at the end of the chain,.If someone had a picture of the shape of the hook ,Many thanks .Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:03 am:

I used currently available parts from the Model A vendors on Betsy.

https://www.brattons.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=chain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Just don't make the chain length too long.

The T pickup rear tail gate chain was short, didn't permit 90 degree support of the gate, not like todays pickup truck. Just a short length for angled out gate to fit larger crates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:36 am:

That last photo is just awesome Dan !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:28 am:

That is the one thing I just can't do, as original as I try to be. I want to be able to sit on the tailgate of my pickup and have a beer, I don't wish to slide back inside the bed! I bought two chains from that place in Missouri that makes new Model A beds, Mack Products, and now I can sit on my tailgate! I also don't like the chain covers they make with the stitch on the outside. I made mine one inch in diameter, and turned them inside out. It took me a beer a piece to do this, but they look so much better. Sorry guys I know it's not original, but it's a hell of a lot better than Ford did it.
That picture of the 1926 is great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:30 am:

That is the one thing I just can't do, as original as I try to be. I want to be able to sit on the tailgate of my pickup and have a beer, I don't wish to slide back inside the bed! I bought two chains from that place in Missouri that makes new Model A beds, Mack Products, and now I can sit on my tailgate! I also don't like the chain covers they make with the stitch on the outside. I made mine one inch in diameter, and turned them inside out. It took me a beer a piece to do this, but they look so much better. Sorry guys I know it's not original, but it's a hell of a lot better than Ford did it.
That picture of the 1926 is great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Were the chains painted? If so black or body color? Getting closer on my RPU project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Hi folks many thanks for all that information ,ill work on it today.Cheers Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Larry

Just don't drive down the road in your pickup with that straight open bed. Your beer cans will bounce out!

For the old rough roads back then the short chained tail gate kept the loads in check!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration