Old Photo - Model T Era - Birds Eye View, Steele, N.D.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Birds Eye View, Steele, N.D.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Now we know where the sidewalk ends! Must be the edge of town. I wonder how they got that view in the days before drones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Doesn't look all that high. In fact the way the car/wagon tracks fork out left & right I'd guess there's a structure the shooter is on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 10:51 am:

he's on top of the water tank for the train, along with those "Petticoat Junction" gals!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Prior to drones they used parakeets for "birds eye" views.

And grandpa taught him how to operate a camera

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Dennis, that sounds like a tall tail to me. :-)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:20 am:

A pretty sharp guy lives there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

likely standing on a grain elevator. There are a couple of others in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Makes me wonder how many grain elevators and railroad sidings they have in a small town? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

The photo was taken from the upstairs bedroom window at Ma Green's Bar and house of ill repute at the end of main street. It was part of her advertising campaign to show her clients that you could see your wife coming for miles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

As I recall there were three upstairs windows. Was it the big bay window or one of the other two in the middle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Think of all the money saved back then. Birdseye view must be the name of the street? No need for road signs , just paint it on the dirt road. It is funny that there is a very wide street but they choose to drive in the mud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Parakeets have been illegal in N.D. since the 1871 Parakeet Rebellion. Look it up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Talk about a quiet town, no cars or people. Just bird and cameras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Dallas, it may just be chalk not paint.
Burger, I could not find the Parakeet Rebellion in 1871. Could it be the Parachute Rebellion where they protested using parachutes as there were no aeroplanes? Or maybe the 1876 Parakeet Rebellion.
Or maybe my Google is on the Fritz.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

I had a Google Parakeet named Fritz. He was German. You don't see
a lot of German Parakeets, especially in N.D. Especially with parachutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 03:37 am:

If I had a parakeet with a parachute I would probably name it "Geronimo". An Eagle could get away with that. I'm still not sure why parakeets were banded in N.D. I see pigeon bands on EBay.
After all, it's a small world.
Fritz. Gone but not forgotten.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Unfortunately my parakeets grandfather would not go near Ma Green's place for he often stated why would a bird go to a cathouse? So I was forced to make the sacrifice and go to see the street view and take pictures for Ma Green's advertising campaign. You remembered the windows correctly Rich as I shot the picture from the bay window. The reason the street shot below is void of all people is because it is standing room only at Ma Green's and the guys have all their cars hidden in the parking lot out back....boy she sure knows how to party!....T related...there are four of them in the parking lot out back.

If you look very far down the road next to the 7th pole on the left you can see a car or buggy in the center of the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Must be the morning commute hour ....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration