Old Photo - Model T Era Motorcyclist And His Ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era Motorcyclist And His Ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Scooter trash. You can see in that guy's expression he's bad to the bone. And !! He's corrupting youth ! Look at the truculent affected swagger of that kid loitering around the bike shop. Probably sired several generations of Hell's Angels. There's just something inherently evil in them motorbikes that brings out the bad !! Tools of the devil says I !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

I believe you are right Rich. That could be Frothingill Wolfinger giving us the "Snake Eye". His gang of marauders and ne'er-do-wells struck terror across the mid-west selling boot-leg Spam to unwary store owners. He would suck gasoline from Model T's at night to fuel his cycle. He also used bad grammar and chewed roofing tar. My Uncle Effingham tried for years to forget his run-ins with him. Definitely a bad fellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

The one in the side car is the mean one. Not driving gives him time to think of evil things to do. Moving the outhouse back 3 feet, cow tipping, tying tin can with rock to a dogs tail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Is he sitting in a sidecar? I thought he might be Shorty Bellweather. He was caught putting slugs in gumball machines and forced to clean out carbide tanks for several years. He found soaking them in a settling pond made it easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

You guys have missed that nice Corbin speedo sitting atop the fuel tank!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:07 am:

That is a Reading Standard - very cool machine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Reading Standard - now a VERY RARE machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 07:39 am:

What's really peculiar is that both Frothingill and Shorty were both illiterates !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Not only that but neither could read or write.
Thanks for the identification on the Reading Standard and also the Corbin.
It is a great photo Jay.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:32 am:

That's not a "nice" Corbin Speedo! It's likely a "stolen" Corbin Speedo. And considering the rampant illiteracy running through that bunch, why they probably wouldn't know what the speedo is telling them. And, both Frothingill and the Reading Standard, run on illegal alcohol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I think it's a boxing champ and his manager. How many of us could drive a motorcycle wearing boxing gloves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:03 am:

The Speedo is definitely made of Corbin steel (or Steal). Not one of the cheap Brass ones. It is possible the fellow is the famous boxer "Mitts" Romberry who boxed in Utah many years. He won several Championships for Piggly Wiggly. If so we owe the whole Wolfinger and Bellweather families our sincere apologies including Hortense.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:10 am:

I own a painting by Hortense Trotter, which leads to the obvious
connection of trotting horses being traded off for motorcycles.
The riding of either would be additionally challenged by the wearing
of boxing gloves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

That is a coincidence Burger. I believe the girls at Ma Green's Place were often treated for Hortense Trotter. They were also treated with Kid Gloves in between Boxing Seasons if you know what I mean. :-) :-) But that is a horse of a different collar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

My, we are a silly bunch ! Hehehehe ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

By the way, if some of my mindless drivel has crossed the line it wasn't intended that way. Murdercycles have always brought out the worst in me. Some unintended inferences may be present. The last thing I want is to offend.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Offend ? Certainly not me ! I would submit that anyone offended by
ANY of your posts is:

a. a snowflake

b. thin skinned and looking for a hurt feeling

c. would be the extreme target of the Gunny's wrath,

d. needs a spine and/or to "grow a pair", or

e. all of the above

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Richard,

It's been great. Keep driveling.

Isn't that Fanny Lawngrass's son Norville in the background? I hear he cheats at hopscotch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

I wasn't worried about offending you Burger. I just though of a connotation that would have been funny to some and not others but not intended that way. Even us raunchy old egg sucking, Coupe driving paint slingers have our Standards. Even if they aren't Reading standards.
Back on my head.

Thanks for thinking of Norville, Jerry. The barn burning wasn't his fault.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

I was driveling my Model T on Boxing Day when a murdercycle gang made me run the gauntlet . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Boxing Day would have been cold. How did the gauntlet run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:04 am:

With a limp ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Actually, the weather was perfect. Clear, but the sun was so hot I nearly froze to death. The gauntlet limped a bit until I richened the mixture an eighth of a turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Actually, the weather was perfect. Clear, but the sun was so hot I nearly froze to death. The gauntlet limped a bit until I richened the mixture an eighth of a turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I woke up this morning with the sundown shining in
I found my mind in a brown paper bag within
I tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high
tore my mind, on a jagged sky
I just dropped in to see what condition my conditon was in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Rich, I laughed both times. (That is easier to do that one might think)
These old black and white photos take us to some fun, magical, mysterious and strange places. Fortunately I usually find my way back. The faces in this one are intriguing. The bike shop behind is delightful. The lettering, adds and reflection in the windows are marvelous. Not to mention an eye catching Machine like the Reading Standard with all the whistles and bells. (OK, horn and Speedometer.)
Finding that much fun in and old picture is nice.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Rich, I'm plenty old enough to be repeating myself like so many of the boring old geezers I've known in my life . . . boring young geezers too ! Did I mention I tend to repeat myself ?

The old photos are indeed truly wonderful, and I appreciate them all, windows into the past. It's especially fun when we can be a little silly !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Thankfully, you folks see the value in a little bit of silly. :-)
50 years from the correct time period but the driver looks just like my cousin Kraut!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Rich, I don't mind your worst, as long as it isn't Liver-worst! BLAH!
:-)
What a great photo, Those kids probably are memorizing jokes from "Cap't Billy's Wiz Bag" and saying things like "Swell!" and "So's yer Old Man!"
I'll bet there's a pool parlor just down the street!
Ya Got trouble my friends!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Now you're talkin' David. Sounds like this photo and your nap perked you up after the rough day. Don't those phrases take us back?
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Thanks Rich--don't know that I could call my day that "rough" but it certainly had it's share of "ooops!" in it!
Wonder if that's the Towner Brothers themselves?
Now let's get those boys in a Band, yes sir! A Boy's Band!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:04 am:

Packed away, somewhere, I have an issue of "Cap't Billy's Whiz Bang" (1922 if I recall correctly). Kind of like a "Mad Magazine" for a younger generation.
Thanks guys. Your twisted humor and puns are always a day brightener.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:02 am:

A little humor makes my day go better. I'm glad some others are similarly handicapped. I was not too familiar with Capt Billy. I found this and others on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-BILLYS-WHIZ-BANG-AUGUST-1921-ART-DECO-COVER-ART- VOL-II-NO-23-/292076676827?hash=item44012066db:g:vhkAAOSwuLZY4-64
Definitely more inspiration there.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Richard, I bought the Captain Billys Magazine and will scan it and share copies with those who might me interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:15 am:

That is good to hear. I would be interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:38 am:

This tread is one of the most entertaining and humorous readings ever on this forum. Thank you gentlemen. Can't stop laughing and my stomach hurts. Priceless :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Rolf, we're here all month!! :-)
Jay, put me down for a copy!
Now if we can just come up with a music holder for the piccolo players. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

I have heard of the legendary Cap'n Billy's Whiz-bang all my life and never seen a copy. Jay, I'd be much obliged for a copy when you scan it, and thank you !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration