Two carbs followed me home. Can I keep them?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Two carbs followed me home. Can I keep them?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Found two carbs at the family parts barn in KS this past week and my limited research raises more questions than answeres.
One is Ford NH and has the center drain. One is marked Holly NH and has the offset drain and the machine screw in the top.
I'm under the impression that the Holly is the earlier version of the NH.

If I were to keep one as a spare for the NH I have on my 26/27 War Wagon, which would be the best to keep? I am sure others who aremore concerned about period correctness could use what I do not need.

Would these take the same rebuild kit if I wanted to go through them?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Look down the throat of each - the NH with the "cast" levers is most likely a "straight bore" - 1919 or in the neighborhood - good carburetor !

The "machine screw" is the vent on the early one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

What would one expect to pay for a decent straight bore NH these days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Heck, I don't even know what they are, let alone what they are worth. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Rebuilt NH's will run around $110 & brand new around $275 but I don't know if those are the straight thru kimd or not. I don't think so. And seems to me at some point in time someone said the straight thru isn't all what its cracked up to be? I probly heard wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

On the left is a Ford Model F; on the right is a Holley NH. The main difference between them is that the Ford is side drain and the Holley is center drain. But that's just these two individual carburetors. The Holley comes in both side drain and center drain versions, depending on when it was made, and I suspect the Ford does too. If you look at your center drain and side drain carbs you'll see that one has the slots at the bottom of the stem and the other doesn't. The side drain carbs came first, then center drain. You can research the years on that. The only other difference between these two is the tag. I have no personal experience with the straight-through version. Apparently it's pretty rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Hi Robert,

I concur with Steve Tomaso that the Holley NH IS a straight through carburettor. Both are good carbs. Some will assert that the Holley straight through can offer more "zoom zoom". But it is still on a Model T, so, um, well, you know. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Have you looked down the throats yet, Robert ?

I've seen the NH straight bores go for a couple hundred with good throttle shaft bores - I run 3 of them on a few of my T's - I like them.

If the NH has "cast" throttle & choke levers, chances are very good that it is a straight bore carburetor. I understand them to have been introduced after the "G" Holley in 1919 or thereabouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

And, yes Robert - they will take the same kits to overhaul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I run a straight through on my 1927 Touring and find it to be peppier than a standard NH.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration