Glad I had a wire shorting out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Glad I had a wire shorting out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I thought my mag had gotten weak. I never recharged the magnets on my 14 so it's not as good as in my 21. It got to where it wouldn't start on mag so I put on a battery. With the spark lever all the way up the #2 coil would always buzz, in addition to the other coil that was buzzing unless it stopped on #2 time to buzz. I'd just pull down the lever a notch til it quit and start it. I took the timer and wires off the 21 and put on the 14. Problem solved. It wouldn't start on batt for some reason yesterday and I thought well I'll try the mag since the motor is hot. Fired right up. I got up this morning and tried it from cold. 2 pulls choke then 1 more pull. Starts on mag like always. I guess it was the timer a little dirty. It's an Anderson. Both are. I didn't swap rotors just the timer and wires. I still have an iffy coil so I may get those refreshed next. Dangerous having one coil staying on all the time starting on battery if you forget to advance it a little. Then it's dangerous to advance it a little because how much is too much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Sometimes a coil buzzes continually because the timer rod is touching a terminal or screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

It's the #2 that shorts. I wonder if it's hitting a pan bolt on bottom. Seems like one of those is supposed to go in upside down to prevent this. Must be the way I have the clip positioned because it doesn't do it now. I know I've shot off jokingly telling everybody I know that ever had a dead battery that if they had a Model T they wouldn't have that problem because it doesn't need a battery. I put that battery on and people start asking about that buzzing then I have to explain why I had to add the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

I may leave the battery though. It is easier to start, you get free starts and it died on me the other day. I guess something got shorted to the mag post. I drove on battery instead of having to clean it on the side of the road.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration