Pattern for Model T Runabout Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pattern for Model T Runabout Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Does anyone have a pattern for a 1923 style runabout top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Um, I don't think you want bumps in the top!
Are you looking for a top bow pattern, or for the fabric? If you have good top bows, and a photo to go by, you can make a pattern using heavy craft paper or cheap vinyl (I suggest vinyl because plain cloth will stretch too much and spoil your pattern--even cheap oilcloth would be good, if you can find some (picnic tablecloths?)). Get tho bows locked into place in the open position, the pads strart basically where the metal curve starts and the bottom of them tapers from front to rear. The center and back panels are pretty straight-forward, tape the pattern down, or light staples, then fit the sides to where they look right, cut the shape out, then mark across the seam so you can put it back that way once off the car. Allow for the hems and sew away! U actually did the top for an A400 this way, and it turned out pretty good; the car was mostly unrestored, so the owner just wanted something to finish the car and keep him dry.
It's not difficult, BUT the top material does not allow for stitching errors--once there's a hole there, there's always a hole there, unlike interior fabrics. OH, and you'll need a commercial walking foot sewing machine.
True, your top may not be as "spot on" as one from Classtiques, but you did it yourself--it's a "100 foot" top! (stand back 100 feet, it's Poifect!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Thanks David. The bows are pretty good .. only need one of the softwood curved sections replaced and I know how to steam bend ... used to make musical instruments. I like the vinyl table cloth pattern idea. I was most interested in where the seams go and other details. Have a good sewing machine. Made leather seat upholstery on my last T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Mark, Look online for pictures of tops if you can't go look at one in real life. The sewing is pretty standard on all of them, relatively square (rectangle) center piece with sides sewn on with a folded seam (right term??? I dunno!), outside edges with a "hemmed" edge, which also doubles as a reinforcement for snaps. Don't forget the wind break piece on the front bow, which is a separate piece tacked on to the bow before the top (if my memory serves me) Also, back panel goes on first, so the top overlaps it (hidden by the hide-em welting) like shingles do on a house.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration