Advice on driving while disabled sought

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Advice on driving while disabled sought
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 07:58 am:

For reasons I'm not ready to discuss yet, I'd like advice on how to drive model T right footed only.

I blew out my left kneecap into about 50 pieces. So like a typical Model T repair they used about a whole spool of stainless wire, and are predicting a full recovery with perhaps Just a bit of a gimp when done. The plan as I understand it is to freeze the knee cap in place until it is as strong as original, letting the rest of the leg atrophy during this phase....then go in and undo and remove the baling wire...then use intensive PT to bring the leg muscles back.

So if anyone knows of a conversion for the slow speed pedal for hand operation I'd appreciate hearing bout it. The Hack is scheduled to transport to Florida in June and I'll literally have a lot of time on my hands this summer. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:06 am:

My goodness George...that sure seems like an odd plan for your knee.

I'm wondering why they don't just do a knee replacement.

My dad has had both of his done and he gets around now like a man half his age. They've really got the knee replacement thing down to a real science now and the recovery time isn't even terrible like it used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:31 am:

George, as Don says, I'm surprised a knee replacement, maybe even partial, isn't an option. Regardless, all our prayers for a quick (as possible) recovery.

I've driven our Fords with one leg/foot following surgeries (both knees and hips over the last nine years). With our Tudor Sedan (now in AK), I always placed my left foot left of the brake/high lever, and pushed all pedals with my right foot.

Occasionally, such as when coming to a stop sign, I would reach down and throw the T in neutral so I could come to a complete stop (since I couldn't use my left foot to push the low pedal halfway in to engage the clutch). The levers sold aftermarket to extend the brake lever would have helped because the reach would have been less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Learning experience with a lot more emergency brake lever/neutral action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Maybe bolt a lever to the low pedal so that you can operate it by hand?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Crippled or deformed? WOW!! PC language sure has changed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Thanks for the suggestions in the photos.

I too am not sure why any replacement was not an option. I know I debated it with the department head just prior to my surgery, and his answer was that since none of my ligaments torn or stretched and were still attached to the kneecap pieces that knitting the pieces and binding them until fusion was the way to go.

I failed my flying squirrel apprentice test
on the third. I have an appointment in about an hour with the ortho head back at the hospital. I have x-rays at noon East Coast time so I guess I'll know more after lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:04 am:

The bone will heal pretty fast. If you have no soft tissue damage, you are lucky, that is what takes the most time. Sounds like you and your doctors made a sound choice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:23 am:

George...sorry to hear of the temporary lack of mobility.

Some rainy day when you are "up to it" the rest of the story relating to

I failed my flying squirrel apprentice test on the third.

would make for an interesting read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Expensive option but by fitting both a Ruckstell and Warford you can avoid the need for using the low pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

-George-
Am sorry to hear about your 'flying squirrel' apprenticeship. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

My car is laid up for a few days so I can't try it myself, but I think you can work all three pedals with the right foot. Reaching the low pedal to get started may be a little awkward that way, but I think not too bad. The hand lever will do for neutral when you stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Some ideas here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/499661.html?1418513251

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

The 1920's saw the Eugenics movement at it's peak. 27 States had
legalized forced sterilization for those deemed "feebleminded" or other
contemporary terms for unworthy. Through deep support by the U.S.
Government, The Carnegie and Rockefeller Foundations, and the Harriman
Trust. the Eugenics Research Office, while failing to get legislation passed
for forced euthanasia, was able to push for laws of forced sterilization in
over half the states (27 of 48, to be exact). It's not that they did not try !

Read O.W. Holmes summation, as part of Virginia vs. Buck decision
in 1927 ! This is a highly regarded U.S. Supreme Court Justice speaking !

Had the ERO gotten it's way, the United States would have led the charge
in what the Nazi's took a step further. Pretty nauseating how most Americans
are clueless about our complicity in the ideology and implementation of the
Holocaust and the hypocrisy in pointing fingers at "those evil Nazis".

For a good (and eye opening) historical read, pick up a copy of "War Against
the Weak, by Edwin Black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

George,
Have an idea how you are with my left foot numb after a stroke.
I can drive an automatic fine but standard no.

I have not driven my T since the stroke but the modern car is standard not easy with 16 shoes catching on the floor fabric.

The Lane transmission uses dogs like a motorcycle so it would simply pull into gear with out grinding----wish I had one!

Recover soon sounds like you will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

It's pretty easy to work the low pedal with your right foot. Before I got my Ruckstell I often drove up steep hills in low with my right foot when my left leg fell asleep. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:35 am:

After back surgery a few years ago I drove the coupe on a couple of tours only using my left foot as my right leg had no feeling. It went ok, certainly moving forward. To stop I left it in high until just before it stalled and the pulled the parking brake lever to disengage the clutch and my left foot on the brake. Reverse was tricky for me as I like to have my right foot on the brake, however it all worked out.
Pay attention and you will be fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration