What's this pipe running from my cowl tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What's this pipe running from my cowl tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

So there's this brass pipe. probably 5/8" diameter, running down from my cowl tank. There's also a hole that starts up top next to the gas fill cap. What is this exactly? Drain pipe for the tank? Air breather to help with air flow? Either way it's terribly clogged, if it's a drain where's the shutoff/on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

It is there so if you spill gas while filling it will run down next to the hot motor and exhaust and not inside the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Over flow drain pipe.
Somebody will likely post the x-ray view of the tank showing the pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/536230.html?1432158595

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

One of the reasons whey this is the only Model T tank not reproduced. Pipe goes from the fill door through the inside of the tank and comes out where the sediment bowl attaches. Small screw holds the external pipe extension in place from the bowl to under the cowl where it just releases any spilt fuel on the ground. Might want to "accidentianly" spill some gas in it once in a while to keep spiders and wasps from building nests in there. Or blow some air down it once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Hostalets de Pierola (Spain) on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:29 am:

It's been over 55 years since I owned a '26, but that drain pipe is not brass. There are two different locations for the set screw at the top, and there is a clamp half way down to secure it to the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

You're correct. It looks more like copper or something. All I know is t's a brownish color and mostly coated in grime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:54 am:

Engine compartment of my '26 coupe showing the cowl tank spill/overflow drain pipe and the referred to clamp holding it against the firewall. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:51 am:

In the day they didn't have the automatic nozzles we have today and it wasn't uncommon to pour gas from a pail into a funnel or directly in to the tank, therefore spills were anticipated and common. At the best of times the tank is in an awkward location for refueling with a pail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Very true David but if you want awkward, the Model A is even worse and if you use a funnel...:-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration