I found a neat way to waste $120.00

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I found a neat way to waste $120.00
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Time to install door glass in my closed cab pickup. Bought window channel felts from dealer. Bought glass sized by the ford book. Channels were too thick and the glass was too wide. Got a cheap glass cutter and roughly cut off a little over 1/8 inch. Channel too tight on the glass so installed 1/4 metal strap in channel and squeezed it in vice. This worked and I installed the glass in one door but discovered I must have chipped the glass while cutting it and it cracked. Went to the other door, thought things was fine but discovered the glass would not go down and jammed in place. You guessed it! trying to get the jammed glass out it cracked. Discovered that the door latch had been hit and dented the door into the space for the door channel. The moral of this story is buy a real good glass cutter so it will cut neatly. Or find the correct felt channel so it works correctly. After all this I found the grommets in the lift straps were installed wrong and had to install new ones to hold the glass up. Done crying in my coffee (don't drink beer).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

I had the same issue with glass felt channel that was too thick.

Found some that fits perfectly. see this thread.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/723797.html?1486685644

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

For some reason, I thought a topless dancer was going to be part of this thread by the title of it.

Maybe it's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Sorry to hear that. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Jim, when I first saw your heading I thought you had bought four new tyre flaps!

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Time to start drinking beer! When you have difficulties, stop take a break and have another beer....

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

If I had a dollar for every time I've wasted around $120 doing something wrong or stupid on one of my old cars over the years....I'd probably have around $120.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

It's a given that the 1/4" glass won't work with the new channel. On the cars I've restored I always cut the glass 1/8" to 1/4" narrower and then took the channel and reshaped it. I used the same method with a chunk of 1/4" steel and hammered it until the glass slid smoothly. I guess I'd rather have it on the loose side than to ruin the regulators because of it being too tight. Zuks to break new glass but its happened time and time again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Just replaced the glass on my produce wagon, glass to tight in the channel, broke the first time. Started out as a half inch click, ran most of the way across. This time I used a rubber tape I had from a 49 Ford project, all is well so far. Old glass and channel 3/16", new glass 1/4", channel too small. Good Luck Jim, hope to see you in Standish this year. Jim Derocher, Sims Township, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Am a bit surprised that you could cut the glass !
The laws here are that you cannot use plain glass in any vehicle. It has to be either laminated or toughened (shatter type).
My understanding for old vehicles is that if insitu (existing) it is allowed but as soon as it comes out for any reason, you cannot re-install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Sorry about your glass Jim. At least you havnt run out of things to do on your Ts. We wont need windows to go for a ride when I come up your way. Good luck on the next go round.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Ivan, Laminated glass can be cut with a glass cutter, but you have to do both sides (as they are actually separate pieces of glass. You then have to coax the glass to break on the cutter line--don't wait too long, as glass somewhat "heals" itself, so it doesn't follow the scoring! Once both sides of the glass are broken--properly! you then use a razor blade to cut the plastic center.
Mark, are you sorry about the glass, or no topless dancers in the thread??
:-)
Jim, have faith, most of us have been there at least once! Glass can be soooo trying at times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

A pain in the glass ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:10 am:

David, I had a chuckle over your self healing glass. The expert at our glass shop makes the cut on both sides of the sheet, and then induces each side to crack along the cut. Then he uses methylated spirits, [I think] to get into the crack to break down the laminating layer. It will the part as it does in usual cut. I find it fascinating to watch him work his magic with such an unforgiving medium.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William P Schubert....Bay City, Michigan on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 05:49 am:

Jim, Any recent pictures of your enclosed cab pickup truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I know they run a liquid into the cuts / crack lines but suspect it is more than meths. Certainly smells a lot worse.

As it is sliding glass, I would assume it toughened as would / should have ground and polished edges ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Good point Ivan, yes, the sides and tops should be sanded/polished, even the ford books mention this. Now most glass shops just give it a "once over" which is better than the cut edge, but not really polished, like the old store glass shelves of yore. However, YOU, the glass owner can improve on it a lot, First, put some masking tape on the sides of the glass to protect that area close to the edge (I learned this part the hard way). Now get some wet/dry sandpaper, probably start with about 400 grit, and work up to at least 800, or even 1000, depending on how picky you are. Now wet sand the edges, using a rubber sanding block. Soon the edge of the glass will become very smooth and appear much like the old plate glass edges. Takes time, but I think it's worth it.
The masking tape? Well as careful as one can be, there is the occasional slip! I think this process also helps remove any tiny chip in the edge that can start a crack.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration