Disc brakes and Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Disc brakes and Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:14 am:

A few years ago I installed Texas T disc brakes on my '24 touring with standard rear axle, and am very pleased with them. I have a Ruckstell in the garage, but have not taken it apart yet. I've been thinking diving into it for quite a while, I just need to get started. I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Ruckstell with the disc brakes, and if so, how did you deal with the shift lever mount? The disc brake master cylinder mounts on the U-joint housing, the same location for the Ruckstell shifter. Is it best to use a shift lever conversion to the parking brake slot? Are there any other issue I should expect to encounter? Lastly, is there any value in using safety hubs with the disc brakes? Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:27 am:

A left side shifter conversion sounds good. Not sure if absolutely needed, but someone here would have tried it and know :-)

There is less of a need for safety hubs with discs, since the caliper would stop the axle from coming out if it breaks inside the housing. A break right where the axle goes into the hub may still cause a lost wheel, but the risk is reduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Steve -- I have a Ruckstell with Texas T discs on my '21 Runabout. It has the left-hand shifter from Snyder's. It all works together just fine. You can see the car (pickup) in my profile pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I just did this conversion. Works great and is easy to do. I used safety hubs on my set up. Also, I used the center shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Pat, can you post some pictures? Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Thanks guys, glad to hear it works with either shifter location. I have a center shifter, but I like the idea of having it off to the left side to make it easier to get in/out. Are there any negatives to having it on the left?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I have a left shifter. No negatives. Makes it much easier to work the throttle as you shift. I used a brake control minus the ratchet for mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Mark, here are a couple of pictures. Everything fit real good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Steve
A couple of years ago I added front brakes to my Ruckstell equipped 27 roadster. To accomplish this I designed and had cut out some brackets with a "tail " to accept the brake system. I m not home for a couple of weeks, but could send you a picture then and a cost, or you can just copy the concept

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Les, are pictures available? I'd like to see your set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 02:02 am:

Pat
Sure when I get home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 06:35 am:

Great info, thanks guys. keep the photos coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Les I would really like to see what you have done, I am going to put wheel brakes on my car, haven't made a choice yet as I'm new to this, but I want brakes! Just got the rear back under the car today so a trial run tomorrow close to home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration