Orginal aluminum Warford instalation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Orginal aluminum Warford instalation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

I am considering this Warford for a 25 roadster. I know the torque tube, drive shaft, and radius rods will need to be shortened one foot. What I don't know is will I have to cut the running board cross member where it crosses in the transmission area, and maybe cut some out of the seat riser at the back side of the flour boards.
I am sure someone that has done this will know. All information appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Brace has to be cut and also riser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

. This is what I did to tie braces together. Probably not to stout but better than nothing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Randall, Thank You/that is what I thought. Was told by a couple of locals there would no alternations in that area. Sure don't like cutting on the car but I think that I would like the over and under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Which aluminum Warford are you installing? 2 speed or 3 speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Don,

You list this is going into a 25 T. Without the rear engine support arms on a 26-27 engine, I would suggest you consider a support assembly for the Warford. I cut an old bumper jack shaft, mounted it across the inside of the frame, anchored it, used the remaining short piece under the Warford connecting both with treaded rods and springs to reduce the stress from bouncing down the road. While I don't have any photos and don't know how to attach photos, if you need some PM me.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Question on the support arm... I've got a 'new' Warford and have thought about building a brace. I've seen some drawings of a brace, but I'm not sure of the attachment. Do you bolt it rigidly to the bracket or use some sort of rubber mount? Anybody have picture of what they've installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Your description of the over under sounds like a 3 speed. If this is the case hope you have the intermediate housing that goes between the transmission and 4th main. These can not be mounted with out it unless work is done to the input shaft. You do have to cut the running board cross brace and would still need the cross brace ether way. If you were going to post a photo in your first post, it does not show up.

Or are you talking about the NEW KC Warford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

Mark, Mine is a 3 speed. It has a neutral, direct, over and under. I didn't know there was a 2 speed.
Dom, Being aluminum it is rather light so I think I will run it with out a support and see if I like it. If I do I will consider a support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:11 am:

I suggest you do some reading. There has been plenty posted on installing an original Warford.
Google mtfca.com Warford and start reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:36 am:

I just did what I suggested. I forgot the original aluminum cased 3 speeds don't have the extra u-joint in between. Mine is cast iron. Have you had it open and checked the bearings and teeth?
Yes there were also 2 speed aluminum cased Warfords. They came as ether direct/under or direct/over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Gary,
I see that Snyders sells a Warford transmission support. A little pricey but will give you an idea of how to build it. I would make mine a little different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

I have a 2 speed under drive Warford in my 1916 express. The transmission case is cast iron but it weights about the same as a 3 speed aluminum Warford.
It mounts like a aluminum Warford and the early type running board truss runs under it with a little bending. The 1921 and later running board truss would have to be cut.
The shifter clears the cross sill on my after market wood body.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration