Any idea why this is green?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Any idea why this is green?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

This is under the second seat in my, new to me, 24 Touring. Haven't even had a chance to clean. Interested in potential (or actual) reasons this would be green.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Someone had some extra green paint.

No other historical reason for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

To keep it from rusting.
It can get really wet under there.
Bet they used what was on the self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Could be the rare (less than 16 million made) John Deere edition Model T.

Look for bright yellow wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Just not ripe yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

You guys are too much! Take it easy on poor Brian, this was his first post. :-)

Brian, Ford used some kind of wood preservative on wood parts. You may find this useful:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#paint1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

As said above, extra paint, but more important than the color is the shade. Painting it a lighter shade of whatever makes it easier to see what's stashed in there when you're fishing around for a tool, spare tube, or some such. Otherwise, with the top up on an overcast day it can be like looking into a black hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I agree with Walter. I think whoever painted it light green did so to be able to better see what was stored in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

That is bright! I can see it from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Obviously a past owner was Irish! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Welcome aboard Brian. I am guessing it is left over house paint. I wonder if there is a way to tell.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Don't ask me. My whole T is green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

I painted the back side of my splash aprons a light gray for the same reason, help reflect light when working under the car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

I agree....probably a combo of what they had on the shelf that was a light shade.

When I restored the dashboard in my 54 Ford, I painted the whole back of it white. Now, on the rare occasion when I have to work under there, it's much easier to see things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

I'd love to see some more photos of your 24 Touring Brian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Welcome to the affliction!
Brian, what Don said! It looks like a rusty mess. Yeehaw! Some of us really like rusty messes! Do show us.
That sea-foam green is very bright to be able to see. Walter nailed it even IF the original intent of the painter wasn't there. :-)
Michael, we like deeper greens says a Cooley with a crap Irish name. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

My question to. Why is it green?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:54 am:

But here, at my computer, it's blue (ok, turquoise) Why is that?? :-) ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Leftover swimming pool paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Well let's see paint that with swimming pool paint, fill it with ice, add your favorite drink and you have a built in cooler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:22 am:

This reminds me of a guy in high school that painted his 49 Plymouth John Deere green with a brush! He did a surprisingly good job with a brush. Especially when he painted around the chrome trim on the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Looks like some sound advice mixed with the occasional smart ass. Typical from an online forum. I think I'll fit right in here.
Seems the consensus is leftover paint during some sort of restoration attempt.
BTW- Wheels are definitely not yellow, but it looks like they might have been bluish at some point.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure this will be the first of many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Here are a couple additional photos from it's ride home:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Brian, the phrase on the roll back says it all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Looks like a great project :-)
Not a '24 though, it's most likely a '22, I think. The cowl fits the 1917-22 low radiator and the windshield is also the up to 1922 style. The front motor mount is the style that was first used in '21 and the brackets at the front seat for the two man top looks like the 1922 only style that is a little lowered compared to earlier brackets.

The engine may well be a '24, though - they have often been swapped after so many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Great to know. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I agree with Dallas....the slogan on the trailer matches the car all too well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:03 am:

A straight windshield means its a low cowl car. 17-22.

If it has a 24 range engine no. the engine was changed way back when sometime. Common for a T since most will interchange. If 24 is on the title don't worry about it. It wont make any difference to no one but you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Oh Brian, what a sweety!
"Two faces have I" (Lou Christie) Says your Touring!
Is that a honeycomb radiator I see?
Roger, yes! :-) Turquoise! I see Sea Foam green. ;-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration