Old Photo - Brass Era - Mailman Posing In His T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Brass Era - Mailman Posing In His T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Makes me wonder where the mail is carried??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:49 am:

Maybe in a sack beside him on the floor?
Here's the last thread about that interesting picture: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/589128.html?1448554819

Here's a rerun of my comment from that thread: ( :-) )

The Joroleman standard tunnel shaped mailbox wasn't designed until 1915, so the 1910 runabout must have been quite some years old when the photo was shot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030528200109/http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/resourc es/6a2m_soapboxes.html

Doesn't look like a modern photo.. Maybe a publicity photo for Ford about how many years and miles it's been driven, still looking good? But the tires looks like smoothies and I don't think they were sold after the late teens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Hmmm..14 years to come up with an approved mailbox? Sounds about right given the source! Probly wasn't that much mail in those days, and with people scattered far and wide in the rural areas, driving a slow vehicle, he probably only made the run a couple times a week, and even then without a huge load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Well I'll disagree with not that much mail I think there was more mail. Most rural folks ordered from catalogs like Sears and Montgomery Wards etc. No telephones, internet, TV. People ordered everything by mail, chicks, seeds, clothing and tools. The mailbox wasn't used as some folks went to town to pick up mail and the others the mailman brought it to the house and shared neighborhood news from farm to farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Is this a Mailman's Runabout? Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Didn't realize I posted this once before. It's hard to remember every photo out of the thousands of I've posted on the Forum. Sorry for a few duplicates now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Jay,

Is that why it says "Copy" across the photo?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Always great to see these. If I recognize them then they are worth seeing again. The new folks that haven't seen them should.
As you can see by other posts we enjoy these in many different ways and are so lucky they are available.
Thanks always
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Is that a 1909?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

I'm new enough that most likely I haven't seen even a small part of your photos, Jay, so I'm grateful when they reappear. Like Rich, I can't imagine not enjoying seeing them repeatedly at intervals. We don't generally toss the family album just because we've seen it once before do we ?

Anyway, the comments are always different, and that's fun too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration