The $48K 1923 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The $48K 1923 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:32 am:

get a load of this guy. I love these type of ridiculous offerings...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/6135113901.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:45 am:

TV pitchman Chick Lambert often appeared with his German shepherd Storm lying on the hood of whatever car he was peddling. That was the inspiration for Cal's "Spot", a serial menagerie that included just about any kind of critter you can imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeWO9K7Egs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:57 am:

It's a 1924 or 1925 touring (I'm not familiar with the minutia between a '24 and '25).

The serial number provided corresponds to July 1919.

Same old story when folks try to sell these "valuable" cars - lots of photos but most are basically the same and no detail shots (such as the engine, underside of car, etc.).

http://www.atomicmotors.net/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2220901&p=1&at= car%7Ctruck%7Cutility%20vehicle&s=Year&d=D&vt=car&year=1923&fr=xAllInventory

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on May 17, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

They also list it as a convertible which it is not! A convertible has to convert form something to something else so even with the top up it is still an open car (No windows in the doors to enclose the car) now if it was a coupelet.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

My father owned a 1953 Chevy COE dump truck. He always had a spare engine, when he sold the truck the last engine in the vehicle was a 1953 Corvette blue flame, minus the triple carbs.. I always wonder if the truck was ever re-discovered and restored..how would the new owner describe the Chevy...a 1953 COE dump or a 1953 Corvette?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

It likes the trailer. I suppose it never hurts to ask. A lady up the road says her 1906 Maxwell is worth a million dollars. "It's the only one of that Model left".
There must be some comfort or satisfaction in these high prices worth more than the reality of actually selling the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Maybe the garage comes with the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Someone paid $31,000 for the car in 2014. Don't know if there was a buyer's premium on top of that.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1923-FORD-MODEL-T--177182

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

PT Barnum was right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

So in 3 years the car has appreciated by $17,000 or 53% not a bad return on investment I may need to pull my money out of silver and gold!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

I don't care if it was once owned by Cal Worthington, it's still overpriced.
However I do miss the Cal ads. Here's the Cal song in it's entirety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

If that is the car that I think it is, it belonged to a member of the Long Beach Model T Club, and I think he bought it from someone in the Orange County Model T Ford Club, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, after owning it for a few years he lost interest and put it up for sale. Being no takers, he took it over to Worthington and traded it in on a new Mustang. It sat in the Worthington showroom for a couple of years, but after Cal died it was sent to auction. I don't recall it being used in any commercials

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Trailer and car around $18.000 in the real world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Now wait just a minute here ....

I see there is a market for " Celebrity Classics "

I have THIS for sale - just listed on Cheez Bay (my own private online bidding site by invitation only) - for a modest reserve of $568,000 USD.

Such A Deal !

Because not only do you get the car shown - you also get Harlan Sanders Cryogenically Frozen In Time !

" Buy It Now & Regret It Forever " for a reasonable price of $578.000 USD and I will include this RARE HOLIDAY LP Record at no extra charge ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

They can ask any price they want, and if someone pays that much for it, they got what they paid for. However, they probably could gotten more for their money if they had paid less or bought a different car.

Concerning buying a car which was on a dealer's showroom, doesn't make the car better than one which was not at a dealer's location. I know of a person who bought a car which had been in a dealer's showroom for many years and the car was bought from the dealer's estate. That particular car had Rocky Mountain brakes on it and it seemed to stop just fine, however, there were no parking brakes on it and no brake band in the transmission. The new owner tried to drive it up a steep hill and the engine stalled. He started to roll backward and could not stop. He did serious damage to the car, but fortunately no one was hurt.

Anyway, whatever car for sale should be thoroughly inspected before purchasing and before driving.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Seeing The Colonel reminds me of a story:
They were having a special day at our local KFC and wanted an old car to drive Col. Sanders from the airport. I never knew if he was a real person or just someone made up like the President or Bill Harrah.
Our car club had a tour planned for the appointed Saturday and I had to find someone not participating to drive the Colonel. Bill Polkinghorn reluctantly volunteered.
He arrived on time at the airport to find a rather grumpy Colonel who was not impressed by the 1923 Studebaker. After driving a mile the Studebaker began emitting a steam cloud. Bill opened the hood and discovered the fan belt had disappeared. Cooling his touring car became a priority as Bill was a very fine Engineer. A detour to a parts store and fitting a v-belt where the flat belt had been left our Mr. Sanders in the hot sun and grumbling "I don't know why they had to send a D..m..d old car for me in the first place."

I wish Bill was still here to tell the story. His deep voice and serious manner was delightful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

The owner of that T has every right to ask whatever he wants. I have the right to think that he is insane.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration