Hats off to Herm Kohnke!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hats off to Herm Kohnke!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

After 3 or 4 years of dealing with performance issues with my "6 Million Dollar Motor", all is well and my '26 is purring like a little kitten. A $7800 rebuild that seized after 2500 miles, 4 more tear downs, reboring the block, a new rear cap, multiple sets of pistons and rings, knurling the cam bearings, buying new cam gears, changing out the drums, balancing the transmission parts, countless new head gaskets, realizing that new valve pins are total crap, realizing that wrist pins are usually too tight, realizing that 3 thou of piston clearance is too tight, missing tours, etc.... priceless. Sending my rods out to Herm to have him inspect and straighten them...$147.00. Yeah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

I have had Herm do babbitt work for our restoration shop over the last several years and have been extremely pleased with the quality work that he does. I first met Herm with a "problem" engine too. It was babbitted by another shop and ran but knocked like a diesel engine. After 4 tear downs I called Herm. He straightened the rods and the engine ran like a sewing machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Straightening the rods: Is this something that should be beaten into all of our heads like the rear axle thrust bushings?
I'm starting to think yes. Something so simple but perhaps seldom thought of...
An old Ford T friend did a light rebuild last summer on another buddy's T engine in a tractor conversion and I was sickened when I heard all the rattling downstairs.
Yuck.
The 23 engine in the 18 Runabout is in dire need of attention downstairs and I'm glad this subject has been brought up as I hadn't thought about it in awhile...
I like sewing machine T engines under the hood.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

It definitely should be part of any rebuild and right up there with bronze thrust washers. I've got a recently purchased RPU that sounds loose in the bottom end but has beautiful compression. Rather than just re-shimming the rods and mains, I'll send those rods out to Herm, also. Time well spent for sure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration