New '27 Owner: Lubrication Training

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New '27 Owner: Lubrication Training
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Roberson on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

One of the things I need to learn is how to lubricate Lizzie. Mostly chassis stuff. I found a big grease cup on the top of the transmission output ball and it was near empty so I filled it and gave her a couple of turns down, but I did not know enough about what I was doing. If there is a good thread or writeup I really need it.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

If this is the first time you have greased Lizzie in a while, fill the big grease cup and turn it all the way down twice. Fill the smaller one behind the big one and turn it all the way down once.

Here is a link to an older thread with a lube chart from back in the day, remember that it was written when there were few if any paved roads, so you may not have to lube quite as often as the chart says.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/227018.html?1312566955

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

The U-joint is inside that ball, and it takes a LOT of grease to fill it. Keep filling until it starts to ooze out.

There are various lube charts, and there are some differences among them, but they mostly agree. Here are a couple.

And a list:

Some of us use chain saw oil in the oilers on the theory that it will last better than motor oil because it's thicker. I would skip the idea of washing out the engine with kerosene. Just change oil every 500 miles. If you don't have an oil screen with a magnet in the hogshead, it's a good idea to install one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration