Original Ford Vaporizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Original Ford Vaporizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hurst Barbee on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Question about this carburetor. I understand that most folks do not like them, but I have noticed that if you start the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes to heat up before driving off, it runs a whole lot better. Is this just a characteristic of the design?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 11:00 am:

I had one on my last '26 tudor, and after a careful rebuild it always ran smooth as silk. Mine would smooth into operation after just a couple of minutes in the warm-up phase ... not 10. Before the rebuild not so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 11:09 am:

It should only take long enough to do a final walk around on your car before driving off for it to be smooth. In the day a lot of dealers would dilute their gasoline (Petrol for other countries) with kerosene to make supply meet demand so if you warmed the fuel up it ran better. A Holley NH will give better performance(Faster more pick-up etc) but a good vaporizer will give better mileage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I have a vaporizer in my '27 Touring and it runs great. Sometimes the plate # 6273 can get a small crack in it and need replaced. In line fuel filters are not necessary but everyone has a different view or reason. Drawings by M.V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I too had little love for these goofy lookin' carbs as they have been maligned over the years. Completely unfounded notion IMHO.
I spent $25 dollars in parts on the vaporizer for the '26 engine in the TT truck and wowee!
I could've lowered the amount spent on parts to $20 but I didn't look close enough at Martin's drawings and wrecked that 6269 tube.
What a sweety! Three pulls on the crank and it's running real nice and doesn't seem to want much adjustment.
I'm actually quite impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I change mine out but mine had obviously been worked on way to many time times looking at the wrench marks and hammer marks on it. I replaced it with a NH Holley it works perfect. Sorta wish mine would have been in better shape, so I could have ran it my car is a late 27. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

I have been running the original vaporizer on my 27 touring since my father and I bought the car in the 1960. Runs fine. Had to replace the heating plate twice. The first time that it burned through they were not being reproduced so I made one and then replaced that when repros came on the market. My experience with warm-up time is 2 or three minutes under normal conditions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration