Brass Era Ammeter???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass Era Ammeter???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

I know this is a oxymoron but what would this be used on. And can it be repaired?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

No ammeter were used in Fords until 1919 and if they were made of brass they were painted black at that time. Someone has removed the paint - and the needle is lost, so it would be hard to fix, but nothing is impossible, I guess. I would have looked for another though. For 1926-31 Ford used a smaller style ammeter, so this one would be 1919-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

The art of balancing the original movement after any repair is not something you can do without very special tools and a lot of know how. Originals can still be found that work OK and I have it on good authority there is a decent repro version available as well. It even appears that the gold paint might have gone through the hole and into the bearing pivot points of the movement to make matters even worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Were there ever any period meters which had the embossed scale and Fordl logo? I have never seen anything like that one.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:19 am:

It is not gold paint. The entire meter is polished brass front and back. I do not own it but recently saw it in an antique store and thought it was unusual.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration