Rim identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rim identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Have this 30 x3 1/2 rim. Any ideas on the maker.

Rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Interesting! The shape of the lug is similar to an early Hayes rim, like the ones on Betsy. However, Betsy's lugs are stamped "Hayes", I've never seen any with an "M" in raised letters.

Do the lugs have the "foot" that fits into a notch or depression in the felloe?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Mark,

I believe you have a rim from John McClaren in Michigan. The MM stands for McClaren Manufacturing.

Have a great day,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Makes perfect sense, thanks Dominic! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

So is the McClaren rim patterned on Hayes? Kelsey? Pruden? Firestone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Steve,

That is a great question. I'm not sure. If you contact John would you post the results.

Thanks,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Let's see how the lug is connected to the rim. That may tell the story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I just tried Mclaren's web page and it says "404 error not found". :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Mclarens sold to Mike in Iowa

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/705202.html?1482588689

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Ah yes, I remember that now, thanks Chris! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Hi, Mike from Iowa here. I will be picking up a large order of new rims this week from Mark McLaren, who owns American Vintage Rim. I plan to pick up a set of these rims to fit a new set of McLaren 30 inch demountable wire wheels I am building and will be offering for sale. I am fairly sure they will be very similar to the Hayes version. By the way I also build wire wheels for 21 inch split rims. Dean Yoder has a nice example of these on his pickup. Thanks, mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration