Old Photo - Model T Era - Minimal Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Minimal Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

I'll bet it scooted along pretty good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Very Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I think all speedster drivers should be required to wear a leather aviator's helmet and goggles! I really like this one, less is more !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

1915/16 based upon the hood former. It is still on my list to put one together exactly like this.
I wear my goggles and helmet often when driving a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 01:30 am:

The fuel tank is up where it will flow well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 02:14 am:

Has the frame been lengthened? Looks like there has been a piece of channel iron bolted to the frame rails and maybe an aux. trans. mounted in front of the rear end? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 03:26 am:

No auxiliary transmission. I can see almost the full length of the torque tube. A "crossing of shadows" does create an illusion of something there, but nothing that looks real to me when I looked close. At first glance, I thought it might have a Planetor underdrive in there, but no.
It looks to be lowered some in the rear, but I cannot tell how it was done. probably just a re-bent rear spring. No apparent lowering of the front.
The frame does not appear to be significantly altered. What may appear to be channel iron alongside the frame rails I think is a wooden body sill. It looks to have standard T body brackets mounted upside-down to hold the sills below frame level, with simple flat boards mounted on top right at frame level as a simple flat floor. Seats are raised about another inch, gasoline tank about four inches above the floor as noted by John W. No floor or decking behind the gasoline tank. Also no floor around the transmission pedals or exhaust. The seats appear to be "catalog" seats. Several companies made and sold similar seats back in the era, including Ames. Ones made now by Roolieb are almost perfect copies.

Oh so long ago, I saw a real original car similar to this one. Only it was just a few years newer, black era radiator and hood. The car had been sitting along the edge of a peach orchard for many decades, a little outside Modesto, Califunny. I was just out of high school, and working on my first T, when visiting my grandparents. I saw the ad in their local paper. Went to look at it, but did not have the $350 they wanted for it. Frankly, at that time, the price was a little high. But I really wanted it, just because it was a true original farmer's son era speedster. It had fence-board floors, a wooden blocks gasoline tank cradle, and rusty but real era catalog seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Did you bring a camera when looking at the peach orchard speedster, Wayne?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I like the hood latch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Roger K, Sadly, no, I did not have a camera with me on that trip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration