Old photo - We don't need a starter....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old photo - We don't need a starter....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Yeah, but where is everyone going to sit???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Well, you got yer sitters and you got yer pushers. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Cleverly, Jasper promised them all a ride "once she gets started", knowing all the while, "she ain't got no motor". Very economical transportation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

In the 60's our neighbor Lady told of a fellow in her High School with a Coupe he painted Yellow. They packed it full of young folks and toured the City. She had a twinkle in her eye when she talked about it. It was probably around the same time period.
Good Times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Richard,

My dad had a Centerdoor in the 40's. It had been in a garage fire. He cut off the top to make a touring car and painted the whole thing with white house paint. He and his pals were touring the city, until stopped by cop. The cop walked up to the front of the car and leaned over, resting his forearms on the radiator, which was hot of course. After asking about driver's licenses, of which there were none, he realized the heat and jerked his arms away. Getting nowhere, the cop left in frustration and pain. As he walked away, he displayed two white stripes across the backs of his arms where his uniform rested on the hot radiator. They went straight home and the car was never driven again...

(The motor is in my speedster)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

That is a great story Jerry. I can only imagine the excitement of the youngsters in the photo. 10 or 20 year old T's were disposable. It was different in the 60's when some of us got into T's but a very magical time.
Thanks Joe Van Evera for the glimpse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Joe,

Thanks for the post. It brings back memories.

My first car was a 1948 plymouth that I bought when I was 16. I got it from a Gulf service station where it had a for sale sign on it. It didn't have a starter and the drivers door was held shut with a sliding gate latch, the passenger side door was held shut with a fish stringer. But it did run, just had to push it or let it coast down hill and dump the clutch. (It had 3 on the tree)

I paid twenty dollars for it and the guy at the station gave me two dollars worth of gas when i left with it. That damn near filled it up...

Oh what wonderful memories...What am I saying?? WONDERFUL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Been there, done that, when you want to get away from home without waking anyone up!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 11:26 am:

It's the Trapp Family Singers re-enacting their escape from the family home!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 11:55 am:

But some seem to be pushing and some seem to be pulling at the same time! Don't think they will get too far that way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Steve, That brings back memories. I had a ford truck I bought from behind a farmers barn. Ran good but did not charge the battery. Battery charger every night, after school my buddies would give me a push and off to work I would go. After work I would roll down the loading dock ramp to get her going and back home on the charger. The same truck had a head gasget leak so I pulled the head. Dad said to check out the pushrods while I had it down. I found one that was bent so I tried to straighten it with a hammer and block of wood. You all know how that went! Asked dad and he said put it together and drive it . I did and it had a little miss but got me where I needed to go. She was a dandy with wood flatbed and barn door hinges holding the hood on. Had to keep carpet on the floors to keep the water from splashing on your pants when raining. It was all mine and no payments. Sold it for twice what I had in it. Good times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

My Model A generator didn't work one winter. It was the only reliable transportation I had. To save the battery I would pull the engine over by the 2 bladed fan with my hand to start it. The engine was loose and the belt was tight. A 4 bladed fan would have been much harder on my fingers. I could also light the wet gas on the carburetor to warm it a little in the cold.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration