Recharging the magnets and got it backwards now what do I do

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Recharging the magnets and got it backwards now what do I do
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

OK well i had a grey haired moment I charged the magnets by laying the magneto on the magnets on the flywheel then zapping it with 36 volts but when I lined up the poles I put them north to north and south instead of north to south north to south etc what have i done how can I fix this do I have to take it all out again or can i fix it in the car all rebuilt now this just getting ready to start it thanks MIKE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

From what I have read on the forum over the years, you should be OK. It is better to magnetize the magnets in the same polarity that they started with, but if you nailed them with 36 volts it should be enough to overpower their initial charge and recharge them to the new orientation.

Did they pass the two pound pick-up test after you charged them?

Can John Regan or Ron Patterson comment further?
You might want to contact one of them directly for their opinion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

ok thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 02:35 am:

Google Tom Carnegie and read his instructions on charging the magnets. He has said it makes no difference if the polarity is changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:58 am:

I followed Tom Carnegie's instructions and paid no attention to the polarity when I charged mine.

For the short time that I had my car running, it ran fine on magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Reread Mike's original message. It appears that he laid the mag coil 1/2 magnet off...not just reverse polarity. This might be more interesting than it first seems.

If it's in the car, you might as well try it and if it doesn't run well, then recharge per Tom's instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

ok thanks i will look up that one mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:40 am:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

I copied this from another thread for you.

Tom Carnegie, I copied your list from 2015 on in-car mag charging and I need to do this to one of my T's.
1. Pull the transmission band door off so you can see the flywheel.
2. Turn the motor over until any two off the brass screws are in a line that is parallel to the ground. In other words the two screws are evenly spaced.
3. Remove the mag plug.
4. Procure a strong DC voltage source of 36 or more volts. Several batteries or a DC arc welder work well.
5. Put some tape around a punch or bolt or some such thing and hold it onto the mag terminal through the mag plug hole. The tape is to keep the bolt from shorting to the hogshead hole.
6. Make a connection to the bolt from terminal of the power source.
7. With the other terminal of the power source, flash the chassis several times. I do eight flashes, just out of habit.
8. Reassemble and test.

Be very careful, especially on 26-7 T's to not short the terminal to anything, especially the gas tank.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration