Starting Motor Oil Leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starting Motor Oil Leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sieber on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

On my 25 Coupe, I have a steady drip of oil coming out of the weep hole in the bottom of the starting motor. I tightened all the mounting screws and the oil still runs out of the hole. What could be the reason behind this? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Nick, there's a seal that prevents oil getting into the starter, It could be that.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5105SK.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Worn bushing, rebuild the starter with the modern bushes and seal, remember to remove the bendix before pulling the starter off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:16 am:

Actually, that hole was placed there to prevent the starter getting full of oil when the bushing got worn. Most of time it didn't work, though. The original starter bushing has no seal. As John pointed out there is a new two-piece bushing with oil seal available from the vendors. The trick is that you need to install both bushings, ream to the starter shaft size, remove, then install the seal and both bushings. Kinda of hassle, but it solves the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Sounds like that could be another place to use the epoxy trick to simplify the process?

That means fitting the bushings to the axle before putting them in place, then making them slightly undersize on the outside so they can be epoxied in place with the starter shaft in place to get them in correct alignment.

I've used the trick for upper drive shaft bushings and spindle bushings, but haven't got the chance to try it on a starter bushing yet..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Or maybe only make the outer one undersized on the outside?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration