Trailer E Track

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailer E Track
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. LaFalce on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Gents
Ordering a trailer with built-in e-track running the length on both sides front to back. Should the track be under the wheels, outside the wheels (not under the car) or inside the wheels (under the car)? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:30 am:

I had mine set at the point under the tires. That way you can use wheel net tie downs and they will pull straight to the front or to the rear. You can cut a small piece of 1/2 inch plywood that fits into the e-track groove for the tires to have a place to sit that is flat and not be sitting in the e-track groove. I bought my wheel net tie downs from Speedway Motors as they are adjustable to different tire sizes. I love them. With the tire bonnet/nets, in theory, one single bonnet/net would hold the car in place. But with four of them, the car is not going anywhere. The speedway motors bonnets/nets are rated for 10,000 pounds breaking strength, with a working load of 3000 lbs each. I am on tour at this time but Ill try to post some pics or links to the bonnet/nets later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. LaFalce on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Donnie, you are my Hero of the Day. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:52 am:

I agree with Donnie about where to put the tracks. However, I didn't use E-track. I used airline track. If stuff gets into it, just hose it out. Foreign objects caught in E-track stay there forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 11:26 am:

John,

Install the etrac yourself - the standard method is to tack weld the trac to the frame - not good in the long run.

Surface mount on the finished floor.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

John,

I installed two 2X3s 4 1//4" apart on one side of the trailer floor as a channel to consistently center my T in my trailer. Just a thought to consider.

Have a great day,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. LaFalce on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Freighter Jim:

Saw your earlier posting about surface mounts. That's were I got the E Track lead...thanks for that.

Went with the installed option due to time constraints.

Wondering...a wench should be bolted thru the floor to the frame, correct? Saw your note on HF wenches and jacks. I ordered two spare tires for the trailer as recommended.

Dominic:

Thanks for the pick. I was going to do something that on both sides, but guess only one is needed. I'll use your suggested board size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

John,

The manufacturer will put on a " winch plate " which is just a thin sheet of metal tack welded to framing members on the top of the frame before they put the floor wood deck on.

My trailers have double thick floors with the joints staggered - I run all thread up thru both layers into the winch that I mount on a winch mounting plate.

I use a 12K winch - nothing has pulled it from this mounting method to date.

Again - most manufacturer etrac is installed poorly with the tack weld process - then the single layer wood floor is cut around the etrac which compromises the structural integrity of the floor & provides an entry point for water flung up from the road.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

My Haulmark has cross stringers on 12" centers and the prepunched holes in etrack are on 12" centers. I thru bolted the etrack to the stringers using 5/16 cap screws with nylock nuts and fender washers on the bottom side.
My etrack is aligned with the tire track. You can either use wheel nets or regular ratchet straps extending forward and back past the wheels with this arrangement. A strip of e track along the wall about 24" off the deck is pretty handy for spare wheels, a table etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

John,

Dan mentioned using wheel nets or ratchet straps. Here is another option. I purchased four 2" wide steel straps 5' long. I cut two 6' pieces bent them at 2" from the end 45degrees and welded them to the remaining 4' piece. I drilled holes for S hooks at each end. After bending to tire radius and installing short chains they fit over the tires and attach to the floor eyes nicely.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

John, here is a link to the Speedway tire bonnet/nets I used. They come in several colors. Just do a separate search and you can find the different colors listed. I had my e-tracks set into the floor. Just a personal choice for me. I had them fully welded to the floor struts as well as sealed on the bottom side with a thin seal plate. I do not use my trailer as hard or as much as Jim does, so I think it is plenty strong for my use. I also bolted the e-track thru the floor and floor joist/stringers. Probably was not needed, but I get a little bit of OCD when it comes to things like that. :-) The first time you use the tire bonnet/nets it takes a little while to adjust them to that perfect "Goldilocks" setting. But after that its a breeze to tie down. I can drive the car into the trailer and in less than 5 minutes be ready to go. And that is not even working very fast. Its hard for me to post pics while Im on the road, but if you want pics of the set-up Ill try and remember to post them later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131499704115?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration