CRUD IN EXHAUST PORT?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: CRUD IN EXHAUST PORT?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

I am just getting around to cleaning and evaluating my 1919 motor. Last evening I removed the Vaporizer and the manifolds. I found crud in the #1 exhaust port. Not sure what it is. Could it be from 'critters"? What else could it be? Gaskets were in bad shape.
Thank you-Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Fluffy stuff with seed husks ==> Critters.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Pictures? hard like cement= mud-daubers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Actually, it looks like sandy carbon or something. I guess "grainy" is the best way to describe it. Not good at pictures. And now my shop compressor is not being kind to me-leaking.
Does this always happen? Trying to do 1 thing and you need to fix 2 things before you can get back to the task at hand? Or is this just me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Were the spark plugs in and was the head on? It could be sand or dirt of some kind. The valves are right below the spark plugs.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Paul,
If it looks like grainy carbon, it probably is just that, carbon.
I would suspect oil in the combustion chamber, more that likely worn rings,
Good luck with the compressor,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

I know nothing about the motor, except that it only cost me $100 a couple of years ago. I was able to turn it over with the crank, pistons look OK, head is flat and I see no cracks. No oil in the combustion chamber, but some carbon. Valves look OK, but will look at the lifters tomorrow and next look at the bottom end when I remove the inspection plate. Both the starter and the generator "motor" when hooked up to a 6v battery. They need to be cleaned up and painted. Same with the motor. Stuff will speed up as I did get all of the parts for my compressor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration