TWar Wagon loaded on trailer for first time. Open to suggestions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TWar Wagon loaded on trailer for first time. Open to suggestions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Headed to it's first show, a 4 hour drive away in south GA. Still time to tweek some things if you see something amiss.
Strapped with rachet straps front frame to front trailer stake supports. Rachet strappped to rear cross member to rear trailer stake supports. Winched onto trailer with winch and tow rope, left in place but loose for safety net. Front wheel chocked front and back and rear wheel chocked front and back. Car ebrake on, not in grear. Rachets on passenger side so can be adjjusted roadside without danger from traffic. No loose items in wagon bed. Seat bench open towards the front so wind cannot catch it and blow it open.

I think I got it, but if you see something, chime in. Otherwise . . . on the road again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

I always put the seat cushions in the tow vehicle unless they are fastened down. Make sure the hood is securely latched. I have seen hoods fly off on cars when there is a fuel shutoff under them and owners do not latch them out of habit because you have to open it to turn the gas on before you drive again. Good luck on your trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

If the floor boards and lower seat cushion(s) are not fastened down, they should either be fastened down or removed and carried in the tow vehicle. You would be surprised what will be gone from a car on an open trailer when you get to the destination. Anything not fastened down might be gone. Don't ask me how I know!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Everybody is going to have there own opinion on where to strap down a Model T. I always use 4 straps, One for each corner. I also used to mount the straps so that they were pulling towards the middle of the car so as not to put undo stain on the pan ball joint. The other thing I made sure not to do was over tighten the straps. I used just enough force to hold the car taunt. I also blocked all four tires front and back. Just my humble opinion. And as others have mentioned, If it can come loose and flt away it will. Put anything loose like floor boards and such in the truck or they may not be there when you get to your show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Take the coil box lid off AND remove the key! Keep it in the tow vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Watch out for looky lous, twice I have had someone pass me on the freeway and then cut in front of me and brake so they could take a photo of the other side with their cell phone. One of those occasions almost caused a multi truck pile up, as the idiot was in a simi and the freeway was crowded with truck traffic. I put a cover on my trailer and have not had a problem since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Robert, the way you have tied down your car means there is pressure on the suspension. That's ok while things are steady. However, when you hit bumps in the road and the trailer and load buck, the straps will be looser or tighter depending on the rebound in both vehicles' suspension. This can lead to your load shifting around on the trailer.

IMHO it is better to tie the axles down and allow the car suspension to do what it is designed to do, flex. The tiedowns will remain firm and the car will not move about on the deck. This is, in effect, what modern tow trucks do using tyre nets.

There are differing opinions on how to anchor the tiedowns on the trailer.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

All good suggestions. I was leery of tying down to the axles and stretching the car, but I see the point about the bouncing. I'll keep an eye out on it during the trip.
Seat cushions are attached as are the floorboards. Coil box lid and key are two that I had not thought about and will remove and put in the storage box I have built in under the seat cushion. This reminded me to take the extra key as well in the tow car so if it walks away during the show, I'm not stranded. Hood should be latched down, but I'll double check prior to pulling out.

Thanks for being a second pair of eyes on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Robert,

You might want to look at the trailer etrack thread below for some comment/suggestions.

Best of luck,
Dom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration