Timer oil seal question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Timer oil seal question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

After not being driven for years, I have to clean the oil out of the New Day Timer quite often. Seems like the more I drive it the worse it leaks. Whats involved in the installation of modern neoprene seal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Dallas, it depends on the year of your car. Once the timing cover was machined with the front side open, a seal can be fitted without removing the cover. Usually modern seals are a loose fit in the recess. Some deform the seal to make it tighter in the recess. I use a thin strip of brass shim around the seal. I cut it 1/8" wider than the seal recess, and this gives a lead into the hole as the seal is pushed in. Loktite is your friend, as a retainer and lubricant while fitting. You may need to carefully persuade the seal lip over the cam nut. Once in, I tap the protruding brass shim flat against the housing.

It goes to say this is all done with the radiator removed.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Thank you Allan. I am glad the timing cover can stay on. Its a 22 motor. I have probably 250 to 300 miles on this year. Many other oil leaks that will be next on the list. If it drips it has oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 08:37 am:

You can always put in the original felt seal, and the commutator shield until you find the seal you want.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration